[Chapter 1]

Chapter 1

My breath comes out in pants. I push my legs further. I can feel the music pumping in my ears. My lips move to the words of the song playing. My feet hit the ground once before coming up and hitting it again.

A grin comes over my lips as I pass by the side of the campus. People I know wave at me causing me to try to wave back at them. The wind whips by my head causing a shiver to wrack my body.

The leaves on the trees have changed. It’s hard to believe I’ve only been here three and a half months. I left home at the end of July to come here.

Ole Miss or better known as The University of Mississippi.

My grandmother was excited and happy when I told her about it. She couldn’t believe that I was coming here to study for school. I was studying creative writing hoping to become a screenwriter and create scripts for TV shows and movies. I don’t think I could write an actual book plus it seemed to be in my blood to be a part of Hollywood in some way.

I could feel the pain in my legs begin to ache. Running was something that I started doing after the first month of being here. I could forget my worries and just concentrate on running. Kimi kept trying to get me to join the track team but that wasn’t my dream. I didn’t want to join and stop other girls from joining that really loved the sport.

I groaned slowing down to a steady walk. My breathing was coming out in pants and my pulse was racing. I was dressed in an Ole Miss tank top with a pair of stretch shorts. The cool morning air was perfect to run today. Sometimes I hated waking during the night and not being able to sleep.

I look around and notice I’m back at the main entrance of the college. I sigh closing my eyes and trying to slow my pulse rate to start running again. People from the college are already out walking along the sidewalk. I smile nodding at some of the people I know.

Being the girlfriend of a frat boy had its advantages or maybe disadvantages. I roll my eyes as I notice Destiny Chiller. She’s in the sorority on campus. Unfortunately, she thinks she’s the best match for Gabe. He’s told her time and time again that he’s not interested. Of course, that doesn’t stop her crazy ass mind.

I shake my head watching her run past me glaring. She’s dressed in a pink track suit. She never used to run until a few weeks ago when she found out that I run in the morning. What the girl hasn’t figured out yet is that I only run because I can’t sleep.

Kimi and Annie are both still in the bed. At least they were still in the bed when I left. No doubt they are up and trying to get dressed by now. I sigh pulling my phone from my pocket. The screen is black telling me I never turned it on after I left the dorm this morning.

I sigh pressing the end button and watching the screen light up. I look around, my eyes find a dark green bench, and I take a seat. My breath has finally slowed enough for me to catch my breath and for my pulse to slow.

The screen comes to life and I open up messages knowing my phone’s going to take a long time to open up. I lean against the bench looking around the front of the college. My life has changed so much in the past year. It’s hard to believe just this time last year I was at home dealing with mom and Robert.

November sure came faster than I was prepared for. My phone suddenly beeps telling me I have a new message.

One New Message from Kimi

I shake my head a smile on my lips as I open the message.

Where r u? Called u & no answr. Txt me bck whn u get this.