[Chapter 18]

Chapter 18

Annie held me as the car drove down the road toward this apartment complex that Gabe’s father was letting us stay in. The tears weren’t silent as much as I wished they were. I could hear Gabe and the driver, Carl, conversing about what happened in the penthouse.

I just wanted to forget about it. The words were echoing in my head. I thought Gabe felt something for me even if I didn’t have those strong feelings for him. Gabe is the one person that could take my mind off Robert and him becoming my stepfather. I hadn’t met anyone else in the world or known of a case where a girl was in love with her stepdad.

I suppose in some sick world it’s a form of incest. I personally don’t see it that way as it would make even my skin crawl in disgust. I love Robert not because he’s dating my mom but because he’s a kind person and he’s nothing like the snobs I’ve met before.

I suppose my feelings for Gabe are the first real glance at a high press lifestyle. My mom wanted me kept from the spotlight of her job but when she marries Robert, I’ll be there at the wedding. I’m sure she’ll allow the press in for the wedding and I’ll be shoved into the spotlight.

I wonder if Robert’s parents will feel the same way about me when I meet them. I can only assume mom has already met them. She is marrying the man after all. Robert did say one time that his sister hated my mom and that she couldn’t stand her. Obviously Robert didn’t take her words into consideration before he proposed.

The fact that Gabe didn’t even say anything to his dad about dating anyone also has me at my wits end. I’ve told my entire family about Gabe and how much I care for him. Gabe used to live with his father before he went off to college so I would have thought they had some type of relationship. I might have lived with my mom but the relationship with her has always been slightly askew.

“Shhhh, Laura. It’s going to be okay…”whispers Annie in my ear.

She’s patting my hair down the back of my head but she doesn’t know. I can tell through the flood of tears covering my eyes that she’s been glaring at Gabe. I’m sure Annie has figured out by Gabe’s actions since returning to the car that some of my tears have to do with him. He’s not even in the back seat attempting to calm me down and explain himself. That in itself explains more than anything in the world would

Gabe and Carl’s conversation lowers even more as my sobs come higher. I don’t know why I took his words to heart so much. Maybe it’s because I didn’t see any of this coming and I assumed that Gabe felt something for me enough to at least mention me to his father. I wonder if he even mentioned me to his mom that he visits occasionally.

His mom does live Mississippi but I’ve never met her. He’s been to see her a few times since he joined Ole Miss but he hasn’t introduced me to her. That should have been my first clue to his actions and views on me and my life.

Carl, the driver, probably believes me to be some huge cry baby that cries at every little thing. He’s probably used to Mr. Collins words and opinion on Gabe’s girlfriends. Annie is rocking me back and forth attempting to help silence my ongoing tears. I really wish Kimi were here. She’d say something that would instantly make me laugh instead of all the crying.