10 | Rebirth

For a man his age, Sehun looked insanely slick and refined. It was the start of a new day, and he was suited up in a pristine dress shirt, bedecked with two silver cufflinks which took on the shape of a diamond.

Sehun was by the window, lacing up his dark leather derbies. He wanted to make a fresh new impression at the office, especially since he was MIA for so long. He walks out and locks up and sees his trusty driver waiting patiently at the gates. He was tall and buff, and could easily double-up as a bodyguard. The skies were cloudy, but the driver had on his staple accessory: a pair of dark, murky sunglasses.

The driver hands him a bright blue bag. Inside was his newly repaired phone, as promised. Sehun thanks him. He boots it up and turns it on.
The first thing he does is key in Irene's number. He has been itching to do this ever since she wrote her digits down on a kitchen napkin one night at his place, amidst of studying for a test the next day.

Sehun's brisk fingers pull up the messenger app. He decides to send Irene a quick text.

As he finally settles on a greeting between 'Dear' or 'Dearest', he now debates on whether he should pop an emoji in or not. He didn't want to come off as too serious, but neither did he want to be too casual. In the end, he settles on throwing in a simple smiley face.

Dearest Irene,
It's Sehun here. I hope you're doing well. Call me if you need me.

"Off to work now, Sir? You haven't been to the office in quite a while."
"Yes. I was preoccupied with an important guest these couple of nights."
The driver has his mouth agape, "Ah, that one? She is very pretty. I've seen her walking around the area alone a few times." The driver says, folding his arms, creating sounds from his leather jacket.

Sehun gazes sternly into the concealed eyes of the driver.
What's his deal right now?
He's a grown man belonging in his forties; why was he making these unnecessary comments on a girl half his age?

"Let's just go."
The drivers gives an abrupt nod and starts up the car.

-

The lift at Jung Incorporated slowly eases up on the second floor, welcoming Sehun's ears with a familiar sounding 'ding'. Doors opening, he sees one of his colleagues, Yoonseo, standing in front of him. She wore a knee-length dress with a round, open collar. "Sehun? Is that you?"
He nods his head, smiling faintly at the older woman.
"Jeez, Louise. I thought you had finally quit!" she laughs aloud, joining him in the elevator. He awkwardly stays silent with his hands in his pockets, trying to think of things to say.

"I'd never leave this job. It's good money." he quips. The coworker looks at him with a frown. "You don't necessarily like this job, do you?" she inquires.

Sehun dubiously straightens up his tie. "No, I do." he lies. Yoonseo snickers at the younger boy, "You only like it because of the pay." He smiles on behalf of the true statement. There were tens of thousands of other careers he would rather be doing instead of – whatever this was.

The elevator halts on the sixth floor: The Conference Room.
He looks around and sees many faces: some old, some new. Automatically, he heaves a sigh. He knew it was going to be a long, long day at work.

-

Meanwhile, back at school - Sehun's group of friends were huddled on the grass, dressed up in dark blue robes.
Today was the morning of their graduation, and they could not be happier.
"Whoever wins this next game gets to stand next to Joy." says Chanyeol who had his hand behind his back, ready to attack his next opponent.