The Trial Begins

Atticus Finch sits in front of the jury, only this time he is the one accused. He has been charged with  murder. His court case begins at 9:00am. The odds do not appear to be in his favor.

Judge Jerry Cruncher- I here now call this court into session. Prosecutor, you may take your stand.

Madam Defarge Prosecuter- Thank you Judge Cruncher, TURNS TO THE JURY

Citizens, before I present my case, spare me a moment to inform you of the importance of your'e being here. As citizens of the state it is your job to keep our court; a court of the people, a sacred place. A place blind to status, race or age. It is your job to see that only justice is being done. It is your job to see that no individual who is guilty taints these halls by walking free. Crime must be punished if justice is to prevail. You, the people, must make the decisions. Do your job; avenge the victims of crimes and make sure those who have brought suffering to others bear suffering themselves. Justice must be carried out. The ultimate hope is that if others one day stand in your places and you or someone that you love stands as victim,  they will avenge the wrong done to you as you will avenge wrongs done now.

Judge Jerry Cruncher- Alright, Alright get to the point Madam Defarge!

[ SHIFTS UNCOMFORTABLY IN HIS SEAT]

Madam Defarge Prosecuter- [SLIGHTLY FLUSTERED BUT CONTINUES] Exactly three months ago from this very day a horrible crime took place, one that should under no circumstances be taken lightly. Today we will judge a man who committed murder! The victim of his crime being, oh so unfortunately, our very own dear citizen, John Barsad.

Jury-[GASPS]

Miss Pross- [SITTING IN AUDIENCE WHIMPERS AND WIPES A TEAR WITH HER HANDKERCHIEF]

Madam Defarge Prosecuter- The man who stole John's life sits before you here today, his name: Atticus Finch. Not only do we have two witnesses and DNA evidence pointing to Atticus as the murderer, we also have a confession from him. Today, dear citizens, we must bring this man to justice.

Miss Pross- [EXPEDITIOUSLY CLAPS]

Madam Defarge Prosecuter- On the night of the 24th, Atticus Finch pushed citizen John Barsad out of a window fifty feet high where he fell to his death! In so doing, Atticus Finch became a cold blooded killer!

Jury- [GASPS]

Miss Pross- [BEGINS TO SOB UNCONTROLLABLY BUT MADAM DEFARGE FLASHES HER A THREATENING LOOK]

Madam Defarge Prosecuter- I now call forth my first witness Mrs.Dubose.

Mrs.Dubose- [STANDS UP, SHAKING SLIGHTLY AND WALKED OVER TO WITNESS STAND]

Madam Defarge Prosecuter- So, Mrs.Dubose, tell us very specifically what horrific event you were unfortunate enough to witness?  Although it was terribly unfortunate that you were unfortunate enough to watch this terrible crime take place we are grateful that you will be able to help bring justice to a citizen who fell victim to his killer the night of the 24th.

Mrs.Dubose- [COUGHS ]I'm a very weak old woman. Nearing the end of my life, shouldn't I be given the right to spend the time I have left as I please! It is a cruel, accursed thing to make a women as ancient as myself to testify in a courtroom! I should instead be abed and resting!  As if  bearing the misfortune of witnessing this crime  hideous crime wasn't bad enough! You know what kind of toll seeing that kind of thing will take on an old women's health! You all ought to be ashamed of yourselves by making me come here today! In fact I ought not testify. Why should I; this case bears no relation at all to my life?! [STARTS TO GET UP]

Jerry Cruncher- Sorry Mrs. but you really don't have a choice. Its the law.

Mrs.Dubose- Oh the law you say? What would happen to me if I refuse to obey it? I suppose you'd throw me in jail, would you? Throw a sick old woman in jail? A woman who happens to be nearing the end of her life? Why, I wouldn't last long in there anyway. Throw me in jail for all I care, at least there; I can get a nice nap and be away from all you heartless g-d hating people!

Judge Cruncher- Mrs.Dubose! Would you please take a seat! [YELLS]

Mrs.Dubose- Now is that any way to talk to a poor woman as myself? Did your mother not teach you anything about manners!?

Defense lawyer(Finny)- May I cut in? Sorry Mrs.Dubose, but Judge, don't you think that if this woman is as old and tired as she claims to be, at her age, could her memory have possibly failed her? Perhaps she might not be able to recall all the events that happened. Could we not excuse her as an unreliable witness? She obviously doesn't want to testify in the first place. Perhaps the reason for that being that she has little recollection of the event itself?