The Puppet

To kill him, she first crawled up into the rafters, making scuttling sounds as her strings dragged along the wood. She let out high pitched giggles as she crawled up the walls until she hung on the ceiling above him. Almost like a spider, she lowered herself down, curled her porcelain hands into claws, and sunk them into his eyes. The sound of his screams attracted too much attention, so she crawled over his face and snatched up his tongue. The man tried to bite, so with her other hand, Mary slammed her dainty --but hard-- hand into his teeth. They fell out one by one. Blood flowed down his cheeks from his punctured eye sockets, and the red river overflowed in his mouth, causing him to choke on his own blood.

His hands reached up to rip the puppet off of his head, but even though he was a strong man, he was unable to unlatch the porcelain doll that was ripping out his tongue. It came out finally, and the blood completely filled his throat, cutting off his oxygen. He fell to the wooden floorboards, coughing and choking. Mary finally crawled off of his face and down onto his chest. She raised her small, sharp fingers and dragged them down his chest as red blossomed on his shirt. Now unable to scream, the man could only writhe as the puppet drew pictures in his skin, as if she were playing a game of tic-tac-toe.

Finally finished with her gruesome game, the puppet dug her fingers deep into the now partially-exposed ribcage and clutched the faintly beating heart. With a squelching sound, she pulled the bloody organ from the corpse, and drew the simple letter 'x' on it.

Mary gazed at the man and felt a delightful shiver. She leaned close until her mouth was at the dead man's ear, and she whispered, "There are no strings on me."

The man that had been barely conscious during the bloody experience now lay still, with his dead heart lying on the floor beside him. Only the whisper of strings dragged across wood could be heard, until finally there was a snap as the strings were broken. There was silence.