Chapter 1: Waking Up

My head hurts, my body is sore. I’ve been in the same white world for a long time now. I don’t know how I got here, or how long I’ve been here. I just know that I’m in this white world.

“Hero! You need to wake up!” I heard a voice scream. It sounded just like SkyBird’s.

“Hero?! Where are you?!” Connor yelled in the distance. Were SkyBird and Connor in this white world too?

“SkyBird! Connor! I’m coming! I’ll find you guys! I SWEAR!” I screamed as my eyes opened and I threw my head forward. I looked around and saw that I was in a dark room with a bright ceiling light that was placed right above me. I tried to move my arms and legs but they were restrained down by leather restraints.

“Test subject No.437 has woken up sir,” a man said though his bluetooth. I looked over at the man that was to my right. He was writing notes down furiously on a notepad.

“Where am I?” I asked, my voice husk.

“You’re in London,” the man replied, as he wrote more. He didn’t even look at me. For some reason I already hated this guy.

“How long have I been here?” I asked.

“About a year,” the man replied, still not looking up from his note taking.

“A year! Are you sure?” I asked again. How could it have been a year?! I’m pretty sure I was only asleep for about a month or so. But a year?! No, I don’t think so.

“Yeah, I’m sure,” the man answered. That’s it. I’m getting out of here right now! I took a deep breath and mustered all my strength together. I then threw my arms upward as fast as I could. The leather restraints gave easily. I grabbed the man by the throat.

“You’re gonna let me go and you’re not gonna say a word, or else I’ll break your neck right now. Gotta it?” I asked, as I slipped my legs out of their restraints. I could feel the man tremble in fear as he meekly nodded his head. “Good,” I replied as I ran out the door. I sprinted through the white hallways. I assumed that I was probably in either a hospital or lab of some sort.

“I see you’re awake, Hero,” a voice said from behind me. I turned and saw Dr. Xander with other scientists and doctors.

“Get away!” I spat as I backed away from them. I wanted to get as much distance between them and myself as I could.

“What’s wrong Hero? Why are you angry?” Dr. Xander asked in a sarcastic, pitying voice.

“Everything. Everything’s wrong,” I said as I backed up into a window. I put my hands behind my back, quickly working to open the window behind me.

“You can’t leave,” Dr. Xander said as he took a step forward. I glared at him.

“Really?” I asked as the window burst opened. Wind came rushing in through the window, blowing the hospital gown I had on.

“Hero!” Dr. Xander growled.

“See ya!” I called back as I stepped out onto the ledge of the window. The air was cold and smelled of smoke. Lots of smoke. The sky was a pale red color, and the clouds were thick. I could feel my fears bubbling up in my throat as I clambered out onto the roof. What about the year that was going to happen last December? I looked down at the ground. I was probably around twenty feet above the ground, but honestly I really didn’t care. I closed my eyes and jumped off the roof. As I touched the ground I did a side roll that pretty much took away all the impact. Once I was on the ground I ran for it.

My heart was racing, my breath was short with fear and stress. My feet thumped painfully against the hard road as I ran. I could feel every little rock that my soles touched. I didn’t and wouldn't stop running though.

“Yes!” I said to myself as I noticed a house in the distance. As I approached the house I noticed that there were no vehicles. Whoever lives or lived here must either be out or moved. I snuck into the house through an open window. The house looked organized and looked to be owned by a family with children. I almost screamed when I saw a laptop on a desk. I flung the lid open and turned the machine on. As I go to the login screen I noticed that the password was written on a sticky note right next to the laptop. I typed the password in and was then surfing the web within minutes. I logged into my 43 Things account and checked to see if there were any new posts since I was asleep. My eyes widened as I read posts that were titled, “The End of the World Has Come” and “Psycho Men in Suits Killing People”. I read post after post and felt a sting of pain, as no one had written a post about me being missing for a year. I brushed the feeling off though. The end of the world was much more important then my feelings.

“Hero! We know you’re in there!” Dr. Xander’s voice shouted as he pounded his fists against the front door. I threw myself onto the floor, which I admit now was pretty stupid looking. I quietly crawled all the way upstairs and into a random room where I locked the door and shoved things in front of all exits. I huddled in a corner as my thoughts began to race. What would happen if they got into this room? What would they do to me? How am I gonna escape? What should I do?

I quietly rose to my feet as I searched the room for any type of weapon. Then, I saw it out of the corner of my eye. The perfect weapons.

“Come out of there, Hero!” Dr. Xander yelled through the locked room. After a moment of silence Dr. Xander signaled for some men to take the door down. The men easily took the door and all stuff in the way down. Dr. Xander and the men all walked into the room.

“Oh, Hey there Dr. Annoying. Here’s a present for you and your friends,” I said with a smile as I aimed a rifle right at Dr. Xander’s head. I had my finger on the trigger and trust me, I wasn’t afraid to pull that trigger.

“Put the gun down now,” Dr. Xander replied softly as he rose his arms up in surrender. I kept my eyes right on him and the rifle pointed at him. One of the men stepped forward. I pointed the rifle and shot them right in the chest. The man fell to the ground instantly. Dr. Xander’s eyes widened as he and the other men backed away.

“Fine. Let her retreat,” Dr. Xander ordered his men, “you win this round.” I grinned as I ran passed them and right out of that death trap. I ran for hours until I reached a city. I looked around at signs and buildings. Some buildings had California written on them. Looks like I was in California. I pumped the rifle and then continued walking through the city’s remains. This city had already been terminated. I could feel anger welling up inside of me as I thought of all the men, women, and children that were murdered in this termination. If Dr. Xander thought I was legendary back then, then he'll think I’m God by the end of this war.