Episode 1: The Tip of the Iceberg

Slam! The boy Adrian Drake was pushed with his back against several school lockers. Max Henderson was up to his usual routine: tormenting people shorter than him. Adrian had always been an easy target for him.

"You are such a loser, Drake," Max told him. "When are you going to realize nobody wants you around?"

As usual, Max's bullying had attracted a throng of watchers, though no teachers yet. Among the crowd was Bruce Lee, a black-haired sophomore at the local high school, pushed his way through to get a better view. He had seen this show too many times for his liking. Someone had to put a stop to this, one way or another.

"Hey, Henderson!" he called. All heads turned to his, even Adrian's. "What's your deal? Same as it's been ever since you moved here? Picking on others just to get attention?"

"Buzz off, Lee," Max told him. "You're next if you stick around. I see you don't have your sword with you this time."

Max was referring to the fact that Bruce was an actor for the school's theater. He had primarily performed in various Shakespearean plays. As such, he had been involved in various sword fights.

"Don't need it," Bruce replied, "because the dragon's on his way."

Bruce inclined his head to something behind Max and made his way back into the thick of the crowd. Mr. Hutch, Bruce's and Max's homeroom teacher, had just arrived on the scene. When he saw Max, whose hand was still holding Adrian against the lockers, he shook his head in disappointment.

"Henderson, I want to see you after school today. And I'll know if you skip and just go home. If you do that, I'll have to call your parents. . .again." Hutch spoke under his breath, but Bruce was close enough to hear, "for the sixth time this month."

Hutch looked around and said to the rest of the students. "As for the rest of you, the bell's going to ring any minute. Get to your homerooms now, please." Not wanting to follow Max's example, the others didn't wait to be told twice.

As Bruce passed Max on their way to Hutch's room, he whispered, "Who needs a sword these days, huh?"

***

After reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, Principal Murdock had a few morning announcements to make. "I would like to congratulate the school theater on once again winning the annual one act festival. Receiving a certificate include Jimmy Johnson, Emma White, and Bruce Lee."

Bruce felt someone pat him on the shoulder. He turned around and saw Rachel Chase, an African American girl with white streaks at the front of her hair, smiling at him. "Nice job, Bruce," she whispered Bruce just shrugged modestly.

"In news of sports, Lucian Fisher and Stacy Brown have set new records for boy's and girl's track in the 1600 meter relay."

Bruce grinned over in the direction of Lucian and Stacy, who had seats next to each other at the front of the class. As he watched, Lucian kissed Stacy's hand when Mr. Hutch wasn't looking. Two months ago, Lucian and Stacy had started going out. In Bruce's mind, it was about time.

Lucian's dad was from Madrid in Spain, but Lucian had been born in America. He had inherited his dad's looks. He had the same dark hair and lightly tanned skin, though his was whiter, which was a gene he had gotten from his mom, who was American.

Stacy had cream colored skin and long blonde hair reaching down to her waist. Unlike Lucian, though, both of her parents had died in a fire. As a result, she lived with her father's parents.