Episode 4: Bruce and the Phantom

With the set fully assembled on the stage, it was time for rehearsal to start. "Alright, everyone on the stage in five minutes for warm-up exercises. We need to get this show on the road, people."

Mrs. Kane had been too busy ushering her cast onto the stage of the school's theater to notice a figure hiding in the shadows. He was six feet tall easy, wearing all black, with his face hidden behind a dark mask. On the mask were intricate and glittering designs of a starlit sky.

When he looked around and saw no one, in sight, he tapped his wrist comm. "Mistress, I've arrived inside the theater without incident. Permission to draw out the Rangers."

"Permission granted," said the silky voice of Medusa. "Remember, Phantom, you are most likely to find the Black Ranger there. Be warned now, his theatrical tastes will test yours."

"Impossible," said Phantom. "No one's theatrical skills can surpass mine!

"Nevertheless," said Medusa, "choose caution."

"As you wish, mistress."

***

When school had gotten out for the day, Bruce was hanging out with the rest of his friends at the front door. They were all in a particularly good mood. Today, they had just discovered the animal traits they had inherited stayed with them even when they hadn't morphed.

They had discovered this when Rachel had seen Max Henderson knocking over some janitor supplies. The thing was, Rachel had been on the opposite end of the hall where this had happened, using her owl sight. Still, it didn't take much effort for her to report Max to Mr. Hutch, who gave him another detention.

"Max Henderson back where he belongs," said Collin happily. "Detention. Oh, that made my day."

"He should move in there," agreed Stacy. "Imagine him there in pajamas and slippers, sleeping on desks." At this, the others laughed.

Rachel seemed particularly pleased with herself, since she had been the one to bust Max. "I don't think Max will be able to get away with anything as long as we got his number. I really love my owl vision. I didn't know I could use it without morphing. Ivan never told us that was possible."

"I think he wanted us to discover things for ourselves," said Alisha. "Last Sunday, before I got on for my shift, I decided to go for a swim."

"Like you normally do," said Lucian dryly, though he was curious to hear the rest of the story.

Alisha nodded. "When I entered the water and dove down pretty deep, I felt like I was moving through the water as easily as I would on land. It was like I had become a fish. It was incredible. What was more, I didn't go up for air for ten minutes."

"You're joking," said Collin.

"I am not, Collin Braddock," said Alisha. "It's true. Don't get me wrong. I knew I still needed air to breathe, but I could survive underwater longer than I had before."

"Incredible," said Bruce. "Out of curiosity, did you try to and going deeper than you used to?"

Alisha just shook her head. "Nah, I'm not sure I should risk it." Her tone started serious, then she broke into a grin. "Besides, imagine if I did drown. Then the Megazord would only have one arm."

All of them laughed together. "Speaking of our animal powers," said Lucian, "I can't wait to test my dragonfly senses at the movie theater this afternoon. I'm going to see if it will help me spot continuity errors. That'll be cool if I could."

Suddenly, Bruce's smile vanished. "I thought we were going to the movies tomorrow. Wait, what's today?"

"Friday," said Stacy. "Why?"