Episode 2: The Goony Rangers

Friday after school, Alisha continued her normal routine, doing her homework over all the noise on her bus and returning home to her house. Unlike most houses, though, it was also a shop. Alisha's dad owned a shop for water sports equipment. It was also located right beside the beach, which helped with the business, especially for people who wanted to go to the water right away. Alisha worked part time at the shop and always got out to go to the beach, normally to catch big waves with a surf board. Today, though, her routine was about to be disrupted.

It had all started when Alisha had been let off her shift. As usual, Alisha had checked to see if the waves were right for surfing. When they passed her assessment, Alisha went upstairs and changed into her royal blue bikini, grabbed a towel, a pair of sandals and wraparound skirt, then she went down and got her surfboard.

The thrill Alisha got from the waves was unparalleled. She had particularly enjoyed entering a tube. This was something she had done only twice before. Surfing by itself was great, but entering a tube amplified her adrenaline. To top off, she managed to hang ten and return to the shore. When she looked up at the shop, she saw a black that hadn't been there before. Alisha frowned, because she had a strange feeling it wasn't a customer.

***

"You wanted to see me, my lady?" Kronos, general of the terrorist group Medusa's Glare, knelt in front of the group's founder, Medusa herself.

"Indeed I did," replied Medusa. "I have brought you here from the update on that urban legend. The one concerning the ancient treasure."

"Very well," said Kronos. "I sent a team of scouts to the island under cover of night." Medusa nodded her approval of this. "They found the wreckage of an old sailing ship. This allegedly proves the smuggler's ship existed. They also located what is most likely the entrance to a cave on the island. I can send a team back to the island at your request and retrieve the treasure."

Medusa rose to her feet. "See to it personally, General. Take Hellhound and Drakon as well. I want no mistakes to be made, especially if the Power Rangers become involved. Choose caution."

Kronos bowed his head low, smiling in satisfaction. Ever since they had found out about the AI's new team of warriors, Kronos had been hoping for a chance to test them in battle. Now Medusa had given him the opportunity he had been waiting for. "As you wish, my lady."

***

It had been a week since the Power Rangers had saved the fairgrounds from Medusa's Glare, using their Zords for the first time against an evil captain named Leech. Since then, Medusa had remained silent, so the Rangers had spent their time practicing their flight and battle techniques.

"Today begins a new stage of your training," said Ivan the Ace, the AI who had brought six teenagers together as the Power Rangers Flight Squad, the name the press had now given them. "As rangers, you can use your powers to summon weapons with connections to your personalities and personal talents." Ivan surveyed the room, then appeared in the hologram of Mr. Hutch and frowned. "Something's wrong. Where is Alisha?"

The others frowned in return. Finally, Rachel, an African American girl who was the White Ranger of the team, stepped forward in front of the hologram. "I called her earlier, but she didn't answer her phone."

The others looked concerned too. It wasn't like Alisha to not answer your phone. She was good at picking up when you came to call. If she wasn't answering her phone, something was wrong, something that was seriously bothering her.

Ivan looked trouble for another moment, then shook his head. "You may go see her when your training is done," he promised them, "assuming she does not come to the cave."