Chapter 27: Its a long Way from Home

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

I was woke up really early. Ben was still holding me in his arms. I don't think we moved from this position all night. He was still sleeping peacefully. His face was in the crevice of my neck. I turned my head so we were facing. I gently held the back of his head and closed the space. When he woke he deepened the kiss.

"Well good morning." He whispered kissing my jawline.

"Good morning." I said still running the back of his head.

I fully turned my body around and wrapped my arms around his neck. He wrapped his around my waist. I never wanted to leave. This was too perfect.

He went to say something but I brought one finger to his lips to silence him. I whispered, "Shh." I pointed to Kelley's sleeping body. He then got my message and we both got out of bed. I went and sat down on the couch facing the window and Ben went to make coffee. I looked at the wall clock. It was 5:30. Ben came back and sat on the couch. I leaned against his body and rested my head in his shoulder. He wrapped his arm around me. We sat there in silence drinking our coffee soaking up each others presence and watching the sunrise. This was how I wanted to spent every morning. Alone with the love of my life.

"Baby?" I asked.

"Yeah?"

"This is too perfect. I can't leave. I don't want to leave."

"Babe. We went over this. You have to. I want you to. I'll be fine. I promise."

"But."

"No buts. You're going. And hell yes I'm gonna miss you and the distance is going to be a pain in the ass but this is your dream and I'm not going to let anything come between that."

"Baby?"

"Yeah."

"What's your dream?" I asked.

"I'm living it." He smiled as he looked into my eyes. He slowly closed the gap and he passionately kissed me. "You're my dream."

"You're mine too."

"I'm not letting anything get between our dreams. Nothing's going to happen to us. I promise I can't live without you." I could feel the sincerity in his voice.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

We sat there until the team woke up. We all sat around the living room. Many of them were so excited to leave for our next camp. I was and wasn't.

We got up and rode the bus to the airport. Our flight left at 10. Because we were really early the team was acting like total dumbasses dancing around and blaring music. I sat with Ben and watched them. They were quite entertaining.

"I'll be back." I said.

"Where are you going?" Ben asked.

"Bathroom."

I walked off. I didn't really have to go to the bathroom but I didn't want to start sobbing in front of everyone. I only went to the bathroom because I needed to calm down. My emotions were swirling and I couldn't control them. I focused myself and then walked back out. Ben was standing with Lauren, Syd, Alex, Tobin, and Kelley. I didn't know what they were talking about but it didn't really matter. Someday I'm sure I'd find out. He came and met me once he saw me. Obviously they didn't want me in on their little secret.

"What was that about?" I asked when he met me.

"Nothing. Don't worry about it." He said.

"Flight 405 is now boarding."

My heart sank. That was my flight. Ben was standing with me when it was announced. I turned into his arms and cried. He lifted my face to where my eyes met his. "Baby it's going to be okay." He had tears in his eyes. "I'm never leaving you. I'm your biggest supporter. And I love you with all my heart. It'll be okay I promise."

I hugged him and didn't let go. "I love you so much." I whispered in his ear. I released the hug and full out kissed him in front of everyone. He returned with just as much passion and love.

"Li, we got to go." I heard Kelley say. She was in tears too.

"Babe I love you and I'm going to miss you." I said.

"Me too. Me too." He said. I gave him one last hug and kiss before boarding the plane.

I found my seat beside Kelley. "Hey you okay?" She asked.

"Yeah. I'll be okay."

"Hey. You two are strong. You'll get through it together I promise. I love you Li."

"I love you too." I was exhausted. My roller coaster of emotions took over. I laid my head on Kelley's shoulder and felt her arm wrap around my body before I fell asleep.

I woke up to Kelley rubbing my arm. "Hey kid. We're almost here."

I woke up and got situated. Once we landed we got off and found our luggage. We were met by the press. Cameras, fans, interview. I was pulled away from Kelley.

"Are you excited to be with the national team?"
"Are you ready to play?"
"Do you feel like you're going to like it?"
"Any thoughts on playing professional?"

I met back up with Kelley as we were walking on the bus. "Can they not get original?" She complained. "I hate interviews."

"I guess I'll get used to them." I said.

We got on I took my seat beside Alex. "Hey Li."

"Hey."

"You okay?"

No I wasn't okay but I faked a smile and said, "Yep. I'm fine."

"I'm texting you the room arrangements. Don't change unless I know about it." Coach Ellis said.

"Today is a recovery day. Training will start next week. And you're free on the weekends." Dawn Scott the Fitness Coach said.

We all looked at our phones. I was rooming with Kelley. Alex was with Tobin. We got our stuff and headed up to find our suites. Alex and Tobin were in the suite to our left and Ali and Ash were in the suite to our right. Once we got settled I called Ben. We talked for a while and then we got called down for team dinner.

"Come on Li." Kelley said and grabbed my hand.

We walked down and went to eat. The team made things go smoother. We went out for a while. Just being our same stupid selves. Then we went in and called it a night.

"Kel?" I said. Kelley was in her bed beside mine on her laptop.

She looked over at me with concern. She knew what was wrong. She shut her laptop and came and sat beside me on my bed. I couldn't hold it in any more. I was faking it to the world but who was I kidding. I was a mess.

"Li it's okay?" She said comforting me and rubbing my thigh.

"Kel. I'm a mess. I don't know if I can do this. Sure you can." She had a smile in her face.

"I hope so." I rested my head on her shoulder. It was a long day. I let her warmth and comfort put me to sleep. She was all I had. Ben wasn't here to comfort me.