Act Two - Part Two: Closing In, Above the Abyss, Taking a Dive

They're in no rush, the Hooks. Not anymore. They know they have us trapped. Behind them, it looks like every rat-stabbing cutthroat in Bilgewater has shown up to the party. No way back.

On the far end of the bridge, blocking my escape into the maze of Bilgewater's slums, is what appears to be the whole Red Caps dock gang. They rule the east side of the waterfront. Gangplank owns them, just like he owns the Hooks and nearly the whole damned town.

Behind me, there's Graves, stomping ever closer. The stubborn son of a bitch doesn't care about the mess we're in. It's amazing, really. Here we are, yet again, like all those years ago. Deep in the muck, and he just won't listen.

I wish I could tell him what really happened back then, but there's no point. He wouldn't believe me, not for a second. Once something's lodged in that thick skull of his, it takes a while to shake it loose. And we don't have a while.

I back up to the side of the bridge. Over the rail, I see the winches and pulleys suspended beneath me - then the ocean far below. My head spins, and my stomach drops into my boots. As I stagger back to the middle of the bridge, I get a full view of how bad a spot I'm in.

Looming in the distance is Gangplank's black-sailed ship. From it, a damned armada of boats is closing in below, rowing hard. Looks like all of his men are heading our way.

I can't get through the Hooks, I can't get through the Caps, and I can't get through Graves's pig-headedness.

Only one way to go.

I step up onto the railing of the bridge. We're even higher than I realized. The wind whips at my coat, making it snap like the sails of a ship. I should never have come back to Bilgewater.

"Get the hell down from there," says Graves. Is there a hint of desperation in his voice? It'd break him if I died before he got the confession he wants so much.

I take a deep breath. It really is a long way down.

"Tobias," Malcolm says. "Step back."

I pause. I haven't heard that name in a long time.

Then I jump from the bridge.