Act One - Part Two: The Wait, Reunion, Fireworks

I've been here for hours. Some folks might get bored standing still this long, but I've got my anger to keep me company. I ain't leaving this spot until I settle the score.

Long after midnight, the snake finally shows. He suddenly appears in the warehouse, using that same old magic trick. I prime my shotgun, ready to turn him inside out. After years spent looking for that treacherous son of a bitch here he is, dead to rights at the end of Destiny's barrels.

"T.F.," I say. "It's been a long time."

I had better words ready for this moment. Funny how they all went out the window as soon as I saw him.

But T.F.? His face shows nothing. No fear, no regret, no hint of surprise. Not even while facing down a loaded gun. Gods damn him.

"Malcolm, how long have you been standing there?" he asks, the smile in his voice enrages me.

I take aim. I can pull the trigger and leave him deader than sea scum.

I should.

Not yet, though. I need to hear him say it. "Why'd you do it?" I ask, knowing full well he'll just come back with something clever.

"Is the gun really necessary? I thought we were friends."

Friends. The bastard's mocking me. Now I want to tear his smug head off – but I've got to keep my cool.

"You're looking as dapper as ever," he says.

I look down at the devilfish bites on my clothes. I had to swim to get past the guards. Ever since he got a little money, T.F.'s been a stickler for appearance. I can't wait to mess him up. But first, I want answers.

"Tell me why you left me to take the fall, or they'll be pickin' bits of your pretty face out of the rafters." This is how you've got to be with T.F. Give him room, and he'll pull your strings 'til you don't know which end's your ass.

His slipperiness came in handy when we were partners.

"Ten damn years in the Locker! Know what that does to a man?"

He doesn't. For once, he's got nothing cute to say. He knows he did me wrong.

"They did things to me that would've driven most men mad. All that kept me from breaking was my anger. And thinking about this moment, right here."

Then comes the clever reply: "Sounds like I kept you alive. Maybe you should thank me."

That one gets me. I'm so mad, I can barely see. He's trying to goad me. Then, when I'm blind with rage, he'll do his little disappearing act. I take a breath and leave the bait alone. He's surprised I ain't biting. This time, I'm getting answers.

"How much did they pay you to sell me out?" I growl.

T.F. stands there, smiling, just trying to buy some time.

"Malcolm, I'll be happy to have this conversation with you, but this really isn't a good time or place."

Almost too late, I notice the card dancing through his fingers. I snap out of it and squeeze the trigger.

BLAM.

His card's gone. Almost took his damn hand off, too.

"Idiot!" he barks. I finally made him lose his cool. "You just woke up the whole damned island! Y'know whose place this is?"

I don't care.

I ready a second shot. I barely see his hands move, then cards explode all around me. I fire back, not sure if I want him dead or just almost dead.

Before I can find him again in the smoke, fury, and splintering wood, a door gets kicked open.

A dozen thugs come roaring in, just to add to the damn mess.

"So, do you really want to do this?" T.F. asks, ready to throw another fistful of cards at me.

I nod, and hold my gun steady on him.

It's time to settle up.