Act Two - Part Three: The Performance, An Observer, Into the Night

The Brazen Hydra was one of the few taverns in Bilgewater that didn't have sawdust on the floor. Drinks were rarely spilled, let alone teeth, but on this night, its patrons could be heard all the way to Diver's Bluff.

Men of some repute, and even greater means, were turning the air blue with wondrous songs of the very worst acts.

And there, in the middle of them all, was the conductor of the night's revelry.

She twirled, toasting the health of the harbor master and all his watchmen. Her lustrous red hair whipped around, captivating the eyes of every man in the room, not that they had been looking at anything other than her.

No glass had been allowed to run empty all night - the crimson-haired siren made sure of that. But it wasn't the dulled senses of every man in the room that drew them closer. It was the promise of her next glorious smile.

With merriment still shaking the tavern, the front door opened, and in stepped a plainly dressed man. Inconspicuous to a degree that only comes from years of practice, he walked to the bar and ordered a drink.

Among the clumsily assembled gallery, the young woman grabbed a fresh glass of amber ale.

"My fine fellows, I'm afraid I must take my leave," she said with a flourish.

The men of the harbor guard responded with loud bellows of protest.

"Now, now. We've had our fun," she said, chiding them amiably. "But I have a busy night ahead, and you are all so very late to your posts."

She hopped onto a table without missing a beat, before looking down upon them all with triumphant glee.

"May the Mother Serpent grant us mercy for our sins!"

She smiled her most captivating smile, raised the large tankard to her lips, and then downed her ale in one tremendous gulp.

"Especially the big ones," she said, as she slammed her glass on the table.

She wiped the beer from her mouth to a rapturous roar of approval and blew a kiss to all.

Like servants before their queen, the room parted.

The door was held open for her by the gracious harbor master. He hoped to garner one last glance of approval, but she was lost to the streets before he could look up from his unsteadily courteous bow.

Outside, the moon had dipped behind Freeman's Aerie, and the night's shadow seemed to reach out to meet the woman. Each step that she took from the tavern became more purposeful and surefooted. Her carefree veil dissolved, and her true self was revealed.

Her smile, her look of wonder and joy, were gone. She stared grimly, not seeing the streets and alleys around her, but looking far beyond to the many possibilities of the dark night ahead.

Behind her, the plainly dressed man from the tavern was gaining. His footsteps were silent, yet unnervingly swift.

In a measured heartbeat, he put his stride in perfect unison with hers, just off her shoulder, out of her periphery.

"Is everything in place, Rafen?" she asked.

After all these years, he was still taken aback at how he could never surprise her.

"Yes, Captain," he said.

"You weren't spotted?"

"No," he bristled, reining in his displeasure at the question. "The bay was free from the harbor master's eyes, and the ship was as good as empty."

"And the boy?"

"He played his part."

"Good. We meet at the Syren."

At her word, Rafen broke away and disappeared into the gloom.

She continued onward as the night wrapped itself around her. Everything was in motion. All that remained was for her players to begin the show.