Chapter 4 - My Mother

The next day as I was asleep, My mother was already awake. She is always an early bird getting ready to do chores around the house, just going out to places, or meeting with neighbors for lunch. However she hasn't been doing that after my father's death.

Now as you continue reading this, I am a light sleeper. Small things tend to wake me up. I could hear my mother walking around as we have wood floors all over the house. Did I forget to say that I live in a small two-story house? Well I do. Anyways that was random.

    I could hear water dripping like if someone was urinating. Um. Yeah my mother was urinating with the door open. We have that kind of relationship at times. It is weird and all, but what can I say I tend to take a dump with the door open. It does get hot in the restroom.

    After a few minutes of quiet, my mother came into my room. She seems a bit scared.

    "Mijo, Despiertate!"

    "Ma, what's wrong?" I said as I woke up slowly from bed.

    "I am bleeding again."

    "Well then just get a band-aid and cover it up." I said while looking at her then I just positioned myself back to my side.

    "No, mijo. I'm bleeding again!"

    I had to think there for a bit. She was pissing and then comes into my room and telling me she is bleeding again?

    "Oh shit! Ma, is it coming out light?"

    "No it's dark and it's in my urine this time."

    I got so scared something like this never happened.

    "Okay let me get dressed and we'll go to the hospital."

    "Okay, mijo."

    We both got ready to go. So you're probably wondering what's going on? My mom was diagnosed with internal bleeding. So says the doctor. But it wasn't from her urine it was always from her stool...her poop. So hearing that she was bleeding from her urine, kind of got me in the red flag. However bleeding internally was something she always suffered from when she was little. But this lady would always be busy with something. She never had any little time for her to rest or heal. Always moving around, getting bumped into stuff a lot, even lifting things without asking me for help. I am like sitting here not even knowing what's going on when I could most definitely help her out with anything. She is that go getter type person.

    So I got her into the car and went to the hospital. We knew a special doctor that my mother knew that would definitely take care of her. As we got to the hospital we entered and immediately got sent to a room. There were nurses that came in and took my mother's temperature. A few minutes later, another nurse came and took a sample of her blood. A nurse then came in and took her to get some X-rays done. Then about 30 minutes went by and Doctor Brayshaw came in to talk to us. When he entered his facial expression was something I was not hoping to see. He had this face of sadness in his eyes.

    "Hello there, Doctor Brayshaw." My mother told him.

    "Hello there, Lupita. Leroy. Good to see you guys again."

    "So what are the results? How did they come out?" I asked him.

    "Hmm. Not really good. We found a cyst in one of your kidney just from looking at your X-rays. I'm sorry to say, but the results came back cancerous."

"Cancerous?" My mother freaked.

    "Yes. It is very aggressive. We say that it might be around 6 to 8 weeks that you might have left."