Chapter 14

Drake's P.O.V. (still)

I falter for a brief second before my anger completely takes over. Chad has a shirtless Kayla shoved against the wall, kissing her. I release a low growl and charge at him. I reach out and grab his shirt collar then jerk him backwards. He collides hard with the ground. I somehow manage to straddle him and hit him repeatedly. I can't see or hear anything around me. All I know is this fucker is gonna pay.

Kayla's P.O.V.

Fear and relief course through my veins when Chad is ripped away from me. I sink to the ground, tears still streaming. A very familiar muscled arm wraps around me. I know it from the hugs I've shared with him. Then, it's pulled away. I look up at Derek as he strips off his jacket and begins to untie my hands. He's got a bulletproof vest secured around his chest that covers his black t-shirt. He finally gets my hands free and pulls out his phone. He types in a number and presses it to his ear.

"The old stocking shed. Get over here, quick." He says then hangs up. He wraps his jacket around my shoulders and pulls me into his chest.

"Derek." I whimper.

"You're okay, now." He says softly. I look up to see Drake straddling a limp Chad, panting. The anger on his face is evident, but dissolves when he looks at me.

"You okay?" He asks nodding in my direction as he walks toward me. I nod just as the doors burst open and gunshots ring out. He's still looking at me, but it's distant. His body sways slightly then he collapses to the ground and a loud gasp escapes me. Behind him stands Nick with a gun pressed to his shoulder. I'm afraid that if Derek makes a move to shoot, Nick will shoot first. Another deafening gunshot echoes through the room and Nick falls. Ryan is standing behind him with a smirk on his face.

"Now what, motherfucker?" He mumbles. I push away from Derek and scramble over to Drake. His breathing is in short gasps and his face is pale.

"Drake?" I ask with tears flowing down my face. His hand raises up and cups my face.

"I'm..I'm okay." He says still gasping. I grab his hand and lock our fingers together.

"I'm so sorry." I say and lay my head against his chest. As soon as I touch it, I know something's not right. I raise up and look at him confused. He has a light smile playing on his lips as his breathing slows down. I unzip his jacket to find a bulletproof vest beneath it. I release a small laugh and lock eyes with him.

"I told you I'm okay." He says a little stronger now. "The fall knocked my breath out of me."

"You dumbass." I say laughing through the tears. He pushes himself up and pulls me in his lap, his arms tight around me. His smile is unmissable. Sirens sound outside and Ryan runs out to flag them to this building. I notice Kim standing in the doorway with tears in her eyes as Derek wraps an arm around her shoulders, a wide smile on his face.

"I'm so sorry I let them get you." Drake mumbles in my ear.

"I don't blame you. It wasn't your fault." I say.

"I should've stayed by you." He says.

"It's all okay, now." I say.

"Why didn't you call for me? I was so close to you and could've saved you." He says pulling back. He has tears in his eyes behind a look of genuine sadness and regret.

"I wanted to, but I was scared." I say. I remember what Chad said about the dare earlier and decide I should ask him. "Can I ask you about something?" I ask.

"Anything, baby." He says. I feel my skin tingle and my stomach twist at him calling me baby.

"Was there a dare for you to be my friend, or was Chad just fucking with me?" I ask. He pulls back with a heavy sigh.

"There was, but let me explain." He says. The vulnerable look in his eyes holds me in place. I instinctively want to pull away and run and never see him again, but I can't.

"Then explain." I say, my voice betraying me and cracking at the end.

"At first, it was a dare. Yes, I was only friends with you because of that. But, now? Now, it's not the same. I want to be friends with you and I want to be able to get close to you. No, I don't want it. I need it. I need you." He says. I tear up again and nod.

"Okay." I say.

"Okay?" He asks.

"Okay, we can still be friends." I say.

"No, that's not what I want. Kayla?" He asks.

"Yes?" I ask.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" He asks.

Short update, but hey! It was rather eventful! I know it seems the story is coming to an end, but it's not! Nope, it's got a long way to go! I hope you like it so far. I know it's quick and all, but I like it that way, so bleh! Anyway,

Until next time,

Read on, lovies!

xoxo

~That girl

P.S I gotta new sign off name!