Chapter 15

Feather light. That's how I feel. I stare into Drake's deep blue eyes that always hold more than he says. More than his words could ever tell or mean. That storm that holds his past and, in an instant, can snap him. Can snap him into fear, anger, or distraught. The story he's not willing to speak of can be seen in his eyes on a day where he finds it too hard to cover it. I wrap my arms tightly around his neck and pull him closer. His arms wrap around my waist.

"Of course." I say.

"Really?" He asks pulling back to look in my eyes. I nod and a smile stretches across his face.

"Freeze!" Someone yells and Drake and I look over at the same time. A cop stands in front of us with a gun pointed at us. Derek steps in behind him.

"Whoa, whoa, not them." He says laying a hand on the cops shoulder. "It's them." He points to Nick and Chad and the cop nods. He immediately handcuffs both of them. "Thanks, man." Derek says as the cop leaves with Nick's limp body and another one grabs Chad. Derek sighs and runs a hand through his hair then walks over to us. He bends down beside us and gives me a goofy smirk.

"Hi, Derek." I say.

"Hi, Kayla." He replies. "You okay?" He asks, seriousness in his voice.

"I'm fine." I say.

"And you, Drake?" He asks. Drake nods and gives him a small smile. "Good. Let's get you guys outside. They'll still wanna look you both over." I nod and Derek helps me up then pulls Drake to his feet. Drake wraps an arm around my shoulders and we walk outside. Kim runs over to me and throws her arms around my neck.

"I was so worried about you." She sobs. I wrap my arms around her and smile.

"I'm okay now." I say.

"I'm so glad." She says. "Let's take you to the paramedics." I look over my shoulder at Drake as Kim drags me away. He smiles faintly at me then a paramedic takes his attention. He leads Drake out of my sight.

___________

"Spill everything." Kim says as a paramedic puts a band-aid above my eyebrow. I wince at the slight pressure he puts on it.

"What am I supposed to spill?" I ask smiling. The paramedic pats my leg lightly then gives me a dimpled grin.

"You're all good." He says then starts to pack his things back in the kit.

"Thanks." I say smiling back.

"No problem." He says then walks away.

"You and Drake!" She squeals.

"What about us?" A voice asks from behind me. I jump and turn to find Drake grinning at us. I feel my face grow hot and know that I'm blushing very deeply.

"Uh...um.." Kim stutters, blushing as well. Drake chuckles and pulls my against his side by my waist.

"I think we're all done here. You guys ready to go?" He asks as Derek and Ryan walk up behind him.

"While everyone is here, I really appreciate it, guys." I say smiling.

"Hey, it was nothing." Ryan says shrugging. After a few more thank you's and hugs later, we are on our way back to Derek's. I lean against Drake and, just as I'm about to doze off, he leans close to my ear and whispers,

"I've got a surprise for you." I look up at him, my eyes heavy in need of sleep. "But, it'll wait until tomorrow." He gives me a small smile and pulls me closer. I lay against him and fall asleep thinking,