Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO:

A pair of worn leather boots padded down the abandoned hallways. Dry, old dirt from ages ago fell onto the floor with each step the honors English student took. It was well past first period and Harry was running a tad late. His skin was red and raw from the sudden cold air. Flecks of dust were matted in his hair. His stomach ached for food, but his father's new house didn't have any. It didn't have much of anything actually.

Harry pulled up his scarf, even though he was inside the comfort of a heated building, and wandered the familiar corridors. He had a few minutes to waste till second period. Down at the very end of the hall off the main corridor was a small figure sitting on the ground right out front of the boys' toilets. The person's back was against the lockers and their long legs were stretched out. Harry squinted at the person, trying to figure out who it was. As he neared the end of the hall he realized it was his older sister.

"Annalise, what are you doing?" Harry asked, looking down at his sister playing on her phone. She looked up, locked her phone, and set it on her lap.

"I am waiting for a friend who's going through a lot right now. What are you doing?" She retorted, arching an eyebrow at her little brother. "Shouldn't you be in class?"

"I'm late. Why are you wearing my sweatshirt?" He questioned, looking at the familiar piece of clothing on her body. "If you don't ask, you can't have it. And even if you did ask, you wouldn't be aloud to wear it. That's weird if we start sharing clothes."

"This isn't yours, stupid. This is Li- my friend's jacket," she replied. "Why are you wearing that bloody scarf? It's not even that cold out."

"Bollocks, Annalise. It's freezing outside, and you're wearing a skirt. Tomorrow is Halloween and you're wearing a bloody skirt," Harry scoffed, tapping her bare leg with the tip of his shoe. "Besides, I had to walk to school today from Dad's house. You know he really-"

Annalise interrupted, "Harry, can you just please leave? My friend-"

Harry quickly retaliated, "Oh, you mean your boyfriend, Liam? Why are you trying to keep him such a secret? Don't want people to find out that you're dating a preppy little kn-"

Liam pushed open the bathroom door, making Harry stop talking. He glanced over at Harry then disappeared right back into the boys' toilets. Annalise stood up and slipped her phone into the pocket of Liam's jumper.

"Good going, you prat. Now get lost," she hissed, pushing her brother towards the staircase.

"Remember that I'm driving home today," Harry called to her before heading up the steps towards his locker. "If you aren't there by three I'm leaving."

Annalise rolled her eyes at her brother and mumbled curses under her breath. She shuffled over to the bathroom door and knocked three times with a balled up hand. Liam pulled open the door and stepped out with his phone in his hands and his arms hanging at his sides. His back was hunched and his face was pallid. All the color in his lips was gone and his pupils were small.

"How is she?" Anna asked with hopeful eyes. By the look on Liam's face she had a feeling it wasn't good news, but she couldn't be too sure.

Liam just shook his head which hung low in misery. He swallowed the lump in his throat and parted his white lips. A shaky breath escaped his mouth. "It's not looking good," he managed to get out after deep breaths.

"Aw, Li," she breathed out, pulling him into a comforting embrace. Her arms held him tightly. She was afraid that if she let go he would break apart. "Everything will be okay in the end. Things happen for a reason, babe." She tried to say anything that would make him feel better.