Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven:

"I'll get it!" Lottie shouted over all the chaos swarming inside of her house. She hurried out of the kitchen to answer the door.

Standing outside in the snow was Harry, Willow, and Sophie. They all wore the traditional ugly sweater that was mandatory for Louis' birthday party. Lottie greeted them all with a hug and let them inside where the festivities were happening.

"Let me take your bags," Lottie offered, scooping up their gift bags from their hands. "Everyone is mostly in the kitchen."

Harry held onto Willow's hand and walked into the kitchen. Sophie trailed behind them, peering into the living room. The twins sat on the sofa. They were watching a Christmas movie.

"Hey, more people!" Louis cheered loudly, throwing his hands in the hair, when the three of them entered the kitchen.

"Happy birthday, Lou," Sophie said with a smile. She hugged him and kissed his cheek. "And Happy Christmas Eve," she laughed.

While she went over to greet Louis' mum, dad, and other sister, Willow and Harry greeted Louis.

"Happy birthday," Willow said, hugging him like her sister had done.

"Happy birthday, mate," Harry said, shaking his right hand. "Nice sweater," he added with a chuckle.

Everyone wore the most hideous and tacky Christmas sweaters on Earth, which made it all the more fun. It's been tradition ever since they were small.

"Thanks. Everyone looks more hideous than last year," Louis joked. "There's still a few more we're waiting on then we can start the dinner."

Lottie came back into the kitchen with Charlie behind her. His hair was tousled to the side, his cheeks and nose were a rosy red, his lips were a dark pink, and his ugly sweater complimented his eyes. Louis's breath hitched in his throat. He couldn't take his eyes off him.

"Nova couldn't make it, but I brought her gift," Charlie said with a dazzling smile. "Hi, Mrs. Tomlinson," he greeted, giving her a hug. "Happy birthday Lou." He hugged him for a second then stepped away.

"Hello, Charlie," Louis's mum smiled. "Great to see you. How's your dad doing?"

"Fine, thanks," he replied.

"How about we go downstairs. Lottie, just show people to the basement when they come," Louis said.

Louis led the way down the steps with three boxes of pizza. He spoke about a football game that was on the television a few days ago to whoever was behind him, but Willow wasn't really listening.

"We can start eating now, I'm starved. Whoever else shows up can just eat it a little cold," he said, setting the pizzas down on the coffee table.

The party was into its third hour when the door at the top of the stairs opened. Coming down the steps was Effie, with Zayn following close behind her. His head was hung low like a guilty puppy and his hand clung to hers. He glanced up to see everyone poorly hiding their shock. Sophie tensed in her seat but remained as solid as stone.

"Eh, welcome! I guess it's cool arriving fashionably late to someone's birthday party," Louis teased, trying to lighten the tension. He greeted the two of them. Zayn only let go because Effie squeezed Louis into an unnecessarily long hug.

"Sorry about our timing. We got, um, help up," Effie said with a smirk. "Got anything to drink? I'm so thirsty."

Sophie almost choked on her food from the way Effie was trying to talk seductively. She placed her hand over her throat and one over her mouth to not cough up food and for no one to see her laughing. Out of the corner of her eye she saw Zayn grin and look at the ground quickly. It went away fast when she came over to him with a drink.