Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight:

Sophie woke up sore. All her limbs ached from her spontaneous night with Zayn. She turned over on her side and watched him sleep for a moment. The sheet slipped from her chest, making her move to cover herself back up. Zayn stirred in his sleep and awoke with a smirk. His eyes fluttered open and glanced at Sophie.

"Morning," he said groggily. He couldn't wipe the smile off his face. He was so dumb in love and just made love to the love of his life. He was over the moon just to be lying next to her again. "Last night was perfect."

"Happy Christmas to you, too, love." She rolled out of the sheets and pulled her underwear back on. "I better get going. I promised to be home for Christmas." Her hands hooked the bra from the back. "I'm borrowing a pair of pants," she informed him as she went through his pant drawer. 

Zayn propped himself up in bed with his elbow and watched her dress. She wore her ugly sweater from last night with a pair of his sweatpants. No matter how ridiculous she looked, Zayn thought she looked perfect. The way her hair was messy and she wore his clothes, he loved it. 

"I'll probably stop by later tonight after we do presents and dinner."

"Okay. We're having Liam and his family over. That means Harry and his family will probably be there. Just call me when you're coming over," Zayn said.

"Okay." Sophie smiled and kissed Zayn's forehead. "I love you."

"I love you, too," Zayn said as she exited his room. He heard the door shut and the faintest ring of a bell a few seconds later. He couldn't bring himself to get out of bed. He was giddy and his stomach was doing flip flops. They were back together and he couldn't contain his excitement. 

Sophie felt the same way as Zayn did, but did a better job concealing her feelings. She walked the empty streets of town and replayed the events from last night in her head. From that moment on, Sophie was positive she was going to marry Zayn. Maybe in five years, maybe next month, or even tomorrow. It didn't matter when, but Sophie knew she was going to be his wife. Zayn always made stupid promises about marrying her and she never took them seriously, but she was so sure it was going to happen later in life when they are older. 

She was so consumed in her thoughts she didn't hear her cellphone ring. When whoever called tried again for the second time, she snapped out of her dream of walking down the isle. The caller I.D. came up with her sister's name on it. 

"We're about to do presents, where are you? I can't stall for much longer," Willow said in a hushed tone. "I told them you're having lady problems so Denise made you some weird shake to help with cramps."

"I'm almost there," she laughed. "Great, now they're all gonna be on my case, asking if I'm feeling well. Just sit in my room and lock the door. I'll be there in five minutes."

"You can't go over looking like that," Annaliese scoffed, eyeing her brother up and down. "You have to change."

Harry looked down at his outfit and shrugged. 

"Mum!" She cried out. "Please tell your son he cannot go out of the house looking like that. He cannot meet my boyfriend's parents for the first time wearing that."

"Good thing I'm not going over anyway. I'm going to Dad's house," he said, storming out of the house without another word and a heavy envelope in his pocket weighing down his coat.

Liam continued to glance nervously at his mum from the corner of his eye during dinner. She was putting on a happy front, but he knew she was feeling terrible inside. She sported a Christmas hat to cover her bald head. She played with her food a lot to give of the illusion she had eaten more than she really had. Her appetite was shot.

Dinner was moved to Liam's family's bakery because it had more room to eat. They pushed the tables together so everyone would fit. It was an intimate gathering full of stories and laughs. Everyone seemed to be having a great time.

Mrs. Payne stood up from her chair after suggesting some dessert. She was swimming in her Christmas sweater and pants. Liam moved to get up, but she told him sit.

"I've got it, dear," she smiled, waving him off. She disapeared in the back to bring out the cake and cookies.

The conversation continued with Annalise talking about one of her science fair projects when there was a loud thud from the kitchen. Mr. Payne was up before anyone and was in the kitchen before Liam. When Liam ran in, he saw his mum lying on the ground surrounded by smashed cake and his father kneeling at her side.

"Go call an ambulance," Mr. Payne said desperately. "Now!"