Chapter 1: A Car Ride

[UNEDITED]

Eva Montaigne
*******************

New York City

"Eva!" I hear Joe, the chef, call out from the busy kitchen.

"Yeah?!" I ask after placing the orders of the customers on their tables and telling them to enjoy their meals.

"Order for table seven is up!" He says over his shoulder while grilling some steaks. I take the plates filled with food and balance them on my arm and hand. I go to the table and place the food there. I do this until my shift's over.

"Ugh, that was tiring." Mia Lopez said leaning against the counter.

"When isn't it tiring?" I reply after removing the pins off my hair and letting my long wavy brown hair fall down my shoulders.

"Hahaha, that's true." Mia says. "Well I've gotta go now, David's waiting for me back home. We're having a date night." Mia referring to her boyfriend of four years.

"I'm guessing it's going to be a hot night." I wink.

"Yes it is." Mia says. "I hope."

"Dude, when aren't you and David hot for each other?" When you'd see both of the together it was clear that they were crazy for each other.

"Yeah, that's true." She smiles. "Bye, Eva. I've gotta go."

"Bye, Mia." I tell my friend before I head out the door. Cool New York City air brushes against my face as I walk down the sidewalk towards my apartment building.

I'm about to cross the street when I notice a black Bentley stop as I'm about to cross. The door opens reviling a man in a black suit get out of the car. I'm about to walk away when the man suddenly snatches my arm starts pulling me towards the car.

"Hey!" I shout tugging my arm. "Hey! Don't touch me! Help!"

My heart's beating frantically against my chest. I pull harder but his grip only tightens.

"Ms. Montaigne, remain calm. I am here under orders, I do not mean to harm you or anything." The man says in a steady voice continuing to pull me towards the Bentley.

"No! Please don't!" I shout but before I knew it he man already threw the door open and firmly but gently pushed me inside. "Help!" I say pounding my hands against the window.

"Ms. Montaigne, don't be afraid someone just wants to meet you."

How does this man know my last name?

I take deep breaths and pull my bag close to my chest, hugging it tightly against my chest. I can hear my heart pounding loudly in my ears. What does he mean that someone wants to meet me?

Before I can protest or ask where he's taking me, the man starts the engine and we're on the road towards who knows where.

"Who sent you?" I croak out. I feel like vomiting. Is he going to kill me?!

"That's confidential Ms. Montaigne." He says not taking his eyes off the road. "But don't worry, you'll meet him."

Him?

Him!?

My mind begins to race and I try to remember the people I've met in life. Who is he referring too? I didn't know people who own such expensive cars.

I'm too frightened to even look out the window. I just close my eyes and buried my head on my bag.

After a while I feel the car starting to slow down, I look up and see the car entering a huge and beautifully designed mansion. Oh my gosh, who wanted to see me? Who was this person?

The man got out of the car and headed to my side of the space and opened the door, he gestured for me to get out by holding out his gloved hand out for me. "Welcome home Ms. Montaigne."

I was too awestruck at the size and architecture of the house to even ask what he was talking about.

"If you would follow me Ms. Montaigne." The man said. He walked towards the huge mansion and led me inside. "Your grandfather is waiting for you in the living room."

Grandfather?! What was he talking about? I don't even know my biological family. Is this a trick?

Before I could ask anything I was already in the living room and the man left. The living room was enormous, it was bigger than my entire apartment. There was a fire burning in the fire place, an old man in a suit was sitting on a chair facing the fire.

"How are you Eva?" The old man asked me.

"How do you know my name?" I ask. "And why am I here? And who are you?"

The old man stood up and a pair of light brown eyes which reminded me of my own eyes met mine, he began walking to me.

"First, I know your name because you are my granddaughter. What kind of grandfather would forget his own grandchild's name? Second, you're here because I've finally found you and because this is your home. And lastly, I am Edward Charles Montaigne the owner of Montaigne Incorporated, one of the wealthiest companies in the entire world, and I am your grandfather."

Tons of questions popped into my mind. How did he get my DNA? Is he even sure I'm his long lost grandchild? My mind spun and I feel like my world's turned upside down.

Because it already has turned upside down.

I didn't know what to ask or what to do. I just stood there, feeling confusion, happiness, and a lot of other emotions hit me all at the same time and I didn't know what to do about it.

**********

I hope the people reading this story of mine like it so far :)
Please like and comment if you do ^.^ hahah I'm kinda terrible at making titles for my chapters, so if you guys have any suggestions feel free to comment.