Thirteen

"You bought a book?" Jenny said as she held the thick hard-cover book in her fingers, looking at it with a look of disgust and confusion. She tossed the book back over to me where I sat across the room. I fumbled with it as it landed in my hands, but it dropped to the floor. I picked it up and help it protectively in my hands. "You can't expect me to read that whole thing."

I sighed. "Yeah I figured, but I skimmed it and there's really helpful stuff in there. I mean it's not just about pregnancy. It talks about motherhood too.

Jenny sighed as well. "Rowie, I haven't decided if I want to keep her yet."

I froze with a grin on my lips as I caught what she had just said. "It's a her?" I thought back to the hour skimming the book in the library and I could have sworn I read that she couldn't tell the gender this early.

Jenny faltered. "Well, no. I don't know, really. But I don't want to refer to her as an 'it.' Besides, I'm just getting this vibe that it's going to be a girl." Jenny suddenly looked embarrassed that she had just admitted to me that she has some sort of connection. I knew there was no way she was going to give "her" up.

I held the book out to her in my hand, hoping she might at least look over it some. Jenny crossed her arms in protest, so I pinched my eyebrows together and jutted out my lower lip, a trick that usually seems to work on her. Jenny set her jaw and stared me down, but I could tell she was breaking slowly on the inside. Seconds passed and Jenny let out a large sigh, holding out her hands for me to toss the book over.

I threw it to where she sat, but it ended up three feet to her left, landing with a soft thud on her comforter. She reached for it and held it awkwardly in her hands before reaching over again and placing it on her nightstand.

I put my trust in her that she might read it later.

Hey loves, so I started working on other stories and totally got sidetracked from this one. It made me realize that I don't exactly know where I am going with my plot, so I decided to leave it where it is now. I'm sorry to anyone who was invested in this story, but I'm going to leave the ending up to you all now. Thanks guys! You've been wonderful!