Love Like This -Sequel Part Three

"John!" Lisa and Jason exclaimed. John put me down and ran over to gave them hugs. He was great with them. They loved him, mainly because for so long it had been just the three of us. It got lonely. 

I had never heard so much noise in the apartment. John was shouting trying to be heard over Jason and Lisa's voices. I was laughing. My family. For a second I'd forgotten about the letter from Dad. Ugh. Dad. He didn't even deserve the title. 

"You guys" I said trying to be heard over the noise. "YOU GUYS!"

Silence

I laughed again

"You're going to be late. I think you should start getting ready"

"For what?" John said

"Jackie, you remember Jackie dont you? Yeah, she's taking them to the city today."

"Yeah it's going to be great. We're going to the city and she's taking us to see this big musical" Lisa started excitedly

Jason grunted

"Not a fan of musicals?" John teased

"Barely, but after that she's taking us to an ice hockey game which is going to be so cool!" Jason said, getting excited again.  In the past two years Jackie and I had gotten closer. She was great and the kids loved her. Whenever I couldn't make it to work she covered for me. If I had the night shift she would check on Lisa and Jason. I was blessed. If it weren't for her so many things would be impossible to do. I always liked her but we were never really close. She knew about John and sympathized with me. In my weakest moments she was there for me and for that I would be forever grateful.

"Well you better get ready" I said

"What do I tell Jackie when she sees that you aren't coming"

"Just tell her John's in town. She'll understand"

Goodbyes were exchanged. And I leaned on the door, closing my eyes trying to enjoy the silence. The kids had just left and John and I were left alone.  I walked in and I saw him looking at the picture.  I walked upto him and slid my hand into his. 

"She's beautiful" he said "She looks just like you"

He looked at the picture and then at me I could feel my eyes becoming moist so I just smiled. "How old were you?" he asked

I didn't even need to think. I had been fourteen

"Fourteen" I answered

He tightened the grip on my hand and dragged me to the couch. We lay there, my head on his chest. I heard his heart beating. His breathing, calm. I closed my eyes listening to his heart beat. It gave me a sense of peace. 

"Are you okay?" his voice interupted my thoughts

I opened my eyes. "What?"

"When I came, you didn't look too good"

Dread filled me and I closed my eyes again and went back to listening to his heart beat.

"Sara?"

I pursed my lips. I didn't want to talk about it. But I loved John and it wasn't fair for me to keep this from him. Instead of saying anything, I walked over and grabbed the post card. 

"Here"