24

twenty four.

We were all going around talking about our day when my phone rang. It's Matt, again. Over the past twelve years he non stop calls me. At least twice a month, he was my baby until he decided to stay. My son Brett was out at a friends house so it's just me Daniel and the girls. Daniel looks concerned when I sigh, "Homey, are you alright? Who was it?" I try not to let my eyes water, "It was Matthew again." He hit his hand on the table, "That's it we're  changing your number. This punk calls non stop and it always upsets you." I agree with him partially but, Matt was my baby. I sigh, "Daniel, he's still my blood. Sure he's from that messed up area of my life but-" he cut off my sentence, "I don't care if he's your baby boy, he always upsets you. Also, why do you keep sending him birthday and holiday cards? He's obviously not dead if he keeps receiving them. He probably goes and spends the money on drugs, I mean I wouldn't be surprised considering how his father was." I look down at my plate, "I- I just feel guilty for leaving him with that man." Daniel sighs, "Honey, he wanted to stay. You didn't force him and he knows that." I nod, "You're right." We were eating when I got another phone call. From the Mercy Hospital. I answered it, "Hello?" "Hi mam, I'm calling on behalf of your son. He's been in a terrible car accident." "Oh my god I'm on my way." I hang up the phone, "What's wrong, Cheryl?" "Brett's been in a car accident and he's in the hospital."

.............................................................

287 words
Next chapter will be her POV still.