Chapter 2: The Road Goes Ever On And On

Tiathal's POV/Flashbacks (in italics in between paragraphs)

We hadn't left for our adventure for almost two months. Some were sent out to scavenge for a path, while others were to alert of the sign of any Nazgûl. The Company stayed behind in Rivendell, for fear of any of us getting hurt- or worse. Aragorn had revealed to have in his possession the shards of Narsil. I saw for myself the two broken pieces of metal that once was a mighty blade. Elrond had it reforged. It is now named Anduril- Flame of the West. The hobbits are never weary, even with the oncoming winter. I fear that we have waited too long to embark on our quest, and that nature will defeat us before the Enemy does. Elrond is optimistic, though, and he reassures me constantly that I mustn't worry.

As for the hobbits, I have come to adore each of them. Frodo seems to share his uncle's love for the elven music and culture, and has exchanged many stories with me. Most of which involved his three trusty friends and companions- Merry, Pippin, and Sam. Although, there is another he tells of as well who goes by the name "Fatty." He had stayed behind, not wanting to leave the hobbits' home country of the Shire.

I had avoided the dwarf at first, yet it turns out Gimli is a fine addition to the Fellowship. He is strong, brave, and great with an ax. I seem to have underestimated Boromir of Gondor as well. He is extremely loyal to his country and his father, the Steward of Gondor. Unlike Aragorn...

I had not seen Gandalf in years, and it had almost slipped my memory that we had ever encountered. But I could never forget meeting the Grey Wizard. He hadn't changed since he came to Rivendell to speak with my mother and father. Then, I had called him Mithrandir, his elven name, as all the other elves did. "Mithrandir" I had asked him. "Why are you here?" I had seen the wizard talking with my parents. They were secretive, and when they thought I was off somewhere else wondering about in all of nature's beauty, I stood peeking through the crack between the wall and door, watching but unable to hear the meeting. My question was never answered. The wizard had stayed for a week, and every day I asked why he was there. Every time I was ignored. Except the last time. The day he left, I asked, once again, why the wizard had come. Gandalf bent down to meet my eyes and said "Mithrandir is a name strangers or people who are of less importance call me. You are neither of those. Now, I may be only a stranger, and you may not recognize your importance. But there will be a day when we meet again. A day when you serve your purpose in the world. Then, you will not refer to me in your own tongue. You might as well get used to it now, Tiathal." Now that we have met again, and now that I have joined the Fellowship, I realize the old wizard meant now. Not once had I called him Mithrandir. I would receive a few confused glances at that, but not from Gandalf. He would smile, remembering the first time we met many years ago.

Legolas, the Woodland elf, has spent the most time with me over the past few long months. He found me a day or two after the Council and complimented me on my bravery. "Never have I seen such courage and strength in such a small, fragile woman," he said to me with a smile. In reply, I stuck out my chin and said "I see no reason that should be any surprise to you. I would not like to be judged by my mere appearance." That caught him off guard. "Fair enough," Legolas said and bowed. "I apologize for any offense you have taken, for now I know not to make assumptions from appearance. I hope you can forgive me for thinking someone such as you could be so strong and courageous." His blue eyes locked onto my green ones. "I forgive you," I said with a smile.

The two of us have become friends since then. He has spoke a lot of Mirkwood. Sometimes I can tell he feels slightly homesick- a price we all must pay on this quest. I realize that while an adventure is all I've ever dreamed of, I will be leaving my home in Imladris behind.