Chapter 15

-Patrick's POV-

My eyes nearly popped out of their sockets, "You want us to what?"

"I want you to kill the president," Mara repeated with utmost seriousness, "Patrick, the only way this ban is going to be taken down is if the person who established the stupid law is taken down too. Okay? It doesn't matter how much support you rally, or how much you remind people of what music and movies and art can do for people. The ban isn't going down until the president goes down."

"But...But killing him...That's a federal crime! I could be executed for something like this! Joe, Andy, and I all could be!"

"Not if you do it right," She objected.

"Do it right? Mara, there is no 'right' way to kill the president! I'm not doing it." I shoved the gun back at her, but she wouldn't accept it. "I'm serious, Mara! Take it back! You're asking too much of us!"

"Do you want this ban taken down?" She inquired, crossing her arms over her chest.

I scoffed, "Of course, I do! But-"

"Then you're going to kill the president. That was going to be the final step anyways," She tried to make things seem better, like you could make committing murder to the man who ran the country and kept things in check seem better. "What we planned was for the four of you to get as many people as you could to go to the capital and take down the president. That was the plan all along, Patrick. Ty-" She stopped herself short and put her head in her hands. She took in a deep breath before looking back up at me, "We wanted to take things slow, but the wait is killing me. I hate living like this. I want to write again. I want to be with you again."

I shook my head, "I don't get it. What does us being together have to do with any of this?"

"What we did brought us together Patrick. My writing and your music are what brought us together. Without that..." Tears wavered in her eyes, "Without that, we had nothing. You had no reason to live. Do you know how hard it was? Dating someone who thought lying down and dying is better than fighting for what he loves?"

I swallowed hard.

"Patrick, I want you to be happy again. I want us to be happy again. I hate seeing you like this. I love you. I always have and I always will. And if you feel the same way, you'll do this for me." She nodded down towards the gun in my hands.

I tilted my head down, my hands trembling in fear.

"I'll be there for you every step of the way, Patrick," She continued to persuade me, "You won't be doing this alone."

"And what happens if I get killed?"

"You won't."

"How can you be so sure of that?"

She hesitated to answer. I looked up at met her gaze. "Because I need you, the world needs you, and if you were to die...who knows what would become of this sad world?"

I took one last look down at the weapon I was holding and sighed. "Okay," I muttered, "I'll do it."

"You will?" She croaked.

I nodded my head, "If it means things will go back to the way they were before, then yes."

The corner of her lip curled upward, "I knew I had faith in you."

I shook my head, breaking into a smile, "You always did."

"And I always will." She glanced back down at the watch on her wrist and said, "You better get going. Two minutes till Alex picks you guys up."

I stared at her for a little before shortening the distance between the two of us, slipping my hand underneath her jawline, and connecting my lips with hers. The kiss was soft, gentle, innocent. Everything I needed to actually go through with this crazy plan.

I pulled back and looked into her eyes, swiping my thumb across her warm cheek, "You better not give up on me this time."

"I won't."

"You promise?"

"I promise."

I gave her one more kiss before climbing down. I reached the sidewalk and looked up, seeing her sitting back down, her legs dangling over the edge as she looked out at the city. I smirked before turning around and running back to where Alex told us he would pick us up.