Chapter 19- A Day Till Maelstrom

Guys, I changed the teachers names. I didn't like the original ones.

_____________________________________________________________

Blue's P.O.V.

A voice that was tinged with an Australian accent was talking.

"...Said that no one had ever shown such resistance to the spell."

Another voice spoke now. It was slightly lower, and had a thick British accent.

"She's different. You know, special. I'm not very surprised."

I opened my eyes and stretched out on the bed I was laying in. For a second, I was very disoriented. I took in my surroundings. All I could see was bed curtains surrounding the bed I was on. Then I remembered. Where else would have bed curtains? I was in the Mythical girls dorm. The voices I had heard were my friends, Care and Feather. At Maelstrom Academy. In a new world with magic.

I opened up the curtains and stepped outside. Care and Feather looked to me.

"Blue, your awake!" Care said, happily.

"You slept in. Breakfast is over. We should probably show you around the school, since you haven't had a tour yet and school starts tomorrow." Feather went on.

I couldn't help but think it sounded rehearsed. I ignored my thoughts and nodded. Something tugged at the back of my mind, but I pushed it away. I really had to go and see the school now.

"Ok, get your trainers on." Feather said.

"My what?" I ask him.

He looks at me odd. "Your trainers."

"Yes, but what's a trainer?"

He raised his eyebrows. "Your shoes. I said get your shoes on." The corner of his mouth turned up at my confusion.

"You mean my sneakers?" I say.

Care was looking on, amused.

"Blue, just get your shoes on." She said. I heard her mumble under her breath, "Glad I didn't get into this. Too many terms for shoes."

~-~-~-

Once I put my trainers on, they showed me around the school. I had been with December in his office talking about my lack of The Mark Of The M when the tours had been going on. Feather was right yesterday, when he said, before we knew his name, that we were going to have a heck of a time finding our way around here.

Instead of the Mythical classrooms being by the Mythic dorms, the Magical classrooms were here. The Mythical classrooms were two floors down, on the first floor, past the Cibus Hall. This was actually fine with us. We planned to take our books and things down with us to breakfast, and then get to whatever classes we had next. We could even get there a bit early, since the others were expected to go back to their dorms to get their school things. It was pretty convenient.

We met up with Carmin, who showed us other general places in the school. She gave us a tour around Maelstrom that covered the library, girls and boys bathrooms, the teachers' lounge, and the rooms we go to for ability training.

"I wonder what you'll be doing, little Exedunt." she said to me contently. It was quite obvious that she loved being around Maelstrom.

Feather loved the library. It was a huge room, crammed with floor-to-ceiling shelves stuffed with books of all size and shape. There were plenty of nooks and corners to pack with overstuffed chairs and mismatched tables heaped with more volumes. Candles floated around in their bubbles, bobbing gently and clustering to any spots that needed more light. Ladders on rollers and runners were lined up at the end of each bookcase, and as weird as it was, I had the feeling that the ladders were eager to run up and down the shelves. Wooden ladders. I shook it off and looked back at Care, who's face was ruddy pink from choking down laughter at Feather's expression upon seeing the library. Carmin was gazing at the library like it was an old friend. Large windows were deep-set into the stone wall, letting midday sunlight filter through in shafts, trapping dust particles in their lazy path. We padded down the worn carpet between the rows of shelves as Carmin told us where the sections for types of books were. Feather showed amazing amounts of attention to what Carmin was saying, soaking up her every word about the library.