Chapter 10

Alexios had told her to meet him at the valet entrance. He was already there when she drove up, leaning against that same black BMW she'd seen at Jimmy's the day he'd blackmailed her into working for him. When she saw him standing by the car, long legs crossed at the ankles, arms crossed over his chest, her mouth watered. He wore navy board shorts with a blue and white striped, long-sleeve shirt open to mid-chest. And when he lifted his sunglasses to the top of his head and smiled, she went weak in the knees. He was a perfect male specimen, and he was waiting for her.

The slow once-over he gave her sent delicious tingles down low in her belly, telling her what she'd chosen to wear met with his approval. She'd worried last night over her wardrobe, not wanting to be too revealing. But another part of her had begged to make his jaw drop.

She'd settled for her fuchsia bikini, the one with ruffles along the neckline. It tied around her neck and back, but the bottoms were pull-on, which quelled her worry of swimming right out of them. She'd chosen short denim shorts and a flowing gauze blouse that hinted at the suit underneath.

Alexios startled her by leaning forward and giving her a quick kiss on her cheek. He smelled spicy, and for one brief moment she wanted to turn her head and surprise him with a kiss on the lips, but he straightened right afterwards. Just as well.

He opened the passenger door. "Ready for some fun in the sun?"

"Yes. I've never been boating—is that our picnic basket?" On the back seat sat a wide wicker basket that had a two-sided top opening and large handle. Sydney got into the car and looked up at him.

"Yes. I told you that you didn't need to bring anything. The hotel kitchen put it all together, and Mama added some Ergolavi. They're still warm."

He leaned on her open car door during this exchange, and Sydney noticed how relaxed he appeared, not at all the uptight boss or prowling playboy. At this moment he was the kind of man she'd always wanted to date, but had never met. She reached for her seatbelt.

"What's Ergolavi?"

"Greek almond cookies. I can't promise I won't eat them all, either." He gave an unapologetic grin before shutting the door and walking around the hood of the BMW, handing off a tip to the hovering attendant. The youth backed up after thanking him.

Once Alexios slid into the driver seat he shifted into drive and they started off, the car growling at having to restrain its speed. Sydney was content to watch him maneuver through the morning traffic on the Strip. His hands, tanned and long-fingered, with just a smattering of dark hair on them, glided from the steering wheel to the stick with unerring efficiency. She barely felt the shifts from gear to gear.

Bouzouki music floated from the surrounding speakers, tickling her ears while cool air filtered from the vents. She relaxed in the leather seat on a sigh.

"That was an awfully heavy sigh for someone going on a picnic," he said, his attention directed on the traffic in front of him. His profile was just as sharp as the rest of him. Straight nose, morning stubble that told her he'd waived a shave, and those lips that—stop that sort of daydreaming!

"I'm enjoying the cool air and the fact I didn't have to do a thing for today."

"Good. That's one of the perks of--"

"Dating the boss?" She wished she could take back the snippy words as soon as she'd said them, even if they were true. This was supposed to be a fun, getting acquainted trip, and she'd already darkened it with her personal worry.

He shot her a measuring look before turning onto the freeway on-ramp. "I was about to say the perks of owning the place. Are you having second thoughts? I told you, you're not really my employee."