Chapter 20

"Syd?"

With her back to Alexios, Sydney closed her eyes and took a few deep, calming breaths before turning to face him. She fought the urge to throw herself into his arms and implore him to ask her to stay, to tell her he didn't want her to leave the Midas, and him. Even if she didn't want to work at the Midas because of the possible gossip surrounding how she got the job, she still wished he wouldn't accept her decision as easily as he had.

She fisted her hands. Begging would only make her look whiny and unattractive, and it wouldn't solve the big problem, which was that she wanted him to want her, need her, not like a boss, but as a man. She turned and faced him.

God, he looked gorgeous in that black tuxedo and snowy shirt front, with his short, dark hair a crown over his tanned and handsome face. She'd been sliding appreciative looks toward him all evening, and now, with his presence so close, she felt overwhelmed. But she needed to remain strong.

She met his gaze, and saw his soften, which only made her weak-kneed.

"I saw you shake Hollenbeck's hand. Does that mean you got the job?"

She barely nodded. And watch his eyes travel over her. Her body tingled as if he'd physically touched her.

"He told me I could start whenever you...you release me."

His eyes darkened and he moved closer, close enough to take hold of her elbows. His hands were so warm, warm and smooth, and her skin shivered from his gentle touch. She wanted to step forward, right up against his chest and burrow into him until he held her tight and told her he didn't want her to leave.

His hands drifted up to frame her face and he tilted her head back until she was looking into his eyes. She rested her palms on his chest and felt the hammer of his heart beneath them. Yet still he didn't tell her to stay. She almost drowned in the depths of his chocolate eyes, and felt her own heart rate quicken.

"I don't want you to go..."

Yes! Her pulse leapt. Here it comes, the moment she'd been hoping for. He was going to tell her that he didn't want her working somewhere else, that she'd come to mean more to him than a good worker—

"...But I know it's the best thing for you. I can't offer you that type of job. But that doesn't mean we still can't have the nights." He'd lowered his voice to that sexy timbre that made her want to rip her clothes off right in front of him. Until his words sank in.

Wait. Had he just told her he wanted to continue sleeping with her, but that he couldn't give her a job as important as the one at the Paradise? There was an insult in there somewhere, Sydney thought as she gazed up into his handsome face. He wore an apologetic look laced with sensuality, and she felt her body sway into his.

She fought the urge to do so as acute embarrassment washed over her in a tidal wave. Her mind bent around the facts as they were being presented. Alexios had just suggested they continue their relationship. She should be happy, since she couldn't see herself leaving him as well as the Midas. And a part of her, a very mushy part of her, was. But another section, a small, lucid bit of her that hadn't been reduced into his molding clay, told Sydney to analyze the moment. She was stunned with what she came up with.

She was in love with him. Ice filled her veins, freezing the heat that had engulfed her moments earlier and causing her hands to shake. She hid their trembling by curling her fingers around his jacket lapels and biting her lower lip. His smile faltered, and she knew the color had leeched from her face from the devastating realization swimming over her: she'd fallen in love with Alexios, and she'd fallen alone.

To him they enjoyed each other's company and were compatible in and out of bed. He was all for savoring what they had, continuing with their casual hook-ups, with no hint that he wanted to move their relationship to the next level. After all, those were the types of liaisons he was used to. And she'd thought that's what she wanted. Until he'd told her to take the Paradise job offer.