1

"What's this?" Ten year old Daxton picked up the small book.

"Daxton come on. I don't want to do this right now. It's too soon. Give us some time." Shay placed his hand on Daxton's shoulder.

Four months ago 16 year old Emmi Butler was found on the floor of her bathroom.

Cold.
Still.
Lifeless.
An empty bottle of pills hidden in the grasp of Emmi's cold hands.

"But-" Daxton started.

"Daxton! Leave Emmi's room, leave everything in it." Shay scolded his youngest child, tears developing in his weary eyes.

"Ok. I'm sorry." Daxton said, slipping the small blue book in his back pockets. Before dashing out of the bedroom, desperately calling for someone to feel the comfort of its bed. To open the now dust covered blinds. To open the now tightly shut drawers of the dresser.

But since Emmi's death, the room lived in solitude, longing for company.

Shay stood in the room after Daxton left. His hands intertwined with the ends of his dark green sleeves.

"I miss you, Emmi." He whispered into the empty bedroom before quietly exiting.

"Whatcha got Daxton?" Fourteen year old Brock sat down on the couch next to his brother.

"Nothing." Daxton quickly closed the blue book and slid it into his pocket. "Do you miss Emmi?" Daxton asked, his head tilted to the side.

"What kind of question is that? Of course I miss Emmi! She's... She's our sister. She's my best friend... She's... Still my best friend to this day." Brock wiped his eyes before standing up.

"Where are you going?" Daxton looked upset.

"Dax... You can't just keep springing this Emmi stuff on us like it's no big deal! It's.... It's like you don't even care!" Brock shook his head. "Whatever."

Daxton sat with head down, his shoulders slumped.

"It's cause I still don't even understand what happened to her." Daxton muttered.