4

Daxton flipped open the small journal and began to read every page, reading some things multiple times due to spelling and grammar errors. The first page of the journal dated back to when Emmi was eight. Nearly a decade ago.

Page One
August 20th, 2015.

Yesterday was my bithday. I turned 8. Mom and dad got me this jurnal to practis writing in.

-Emmi

The first entry ended there, not surprisingly. An eight year old doesn't have the patience to write down every feeling in their life. Daxton continued on to the next entry.

Page Two
August 22, 2015

I showed mom my first page of writing. She said I shood write longer pages because my spelling needs to be worked on. Today I got my scool supplys list. I'm going shopping with my family tomorrow to get my supplys. Me and Avia are going to get maching pencil pouches. We saw them at target a few days ago. The pencil pouch we want is one that has pink with black and white poka dots. I'm going into second grade. Avia is going into fith. Gavin is going into sixth. Brock will be in prescool. Daxton is still a baby. Babys don't usally go to scool.

-Emmi

Daxton chuckled at the spelling errors, and also at the thought of him being just a baby when Emmi wrote this. Now, an almost eleven year old, Daxton realized how this journal was almost like a time capsule.

"Ooh! Daxton has a journal!" Avia came walking into the fifth grader's dark blue bedroom.

"No I don't." Daxton quickly shoved the journal under his pillow. If anyone found out he took it out of Emmi's room, he'd be in a world of hurt.

"Yes! You do! I saw it!" The eighteen year old smiled. "Whose is it? Did you steal from your crush?"

"No... I don't have crushes anymore, Avia. I'm not five. And we don't take things from the people we like, anyway."

"Whatever... Who's-"

"I have a girlfriend anyways." Daxton desperately tried to change the subject, even if it was with the use of a lie.

"What? Little baby Daxton has a girlfriend!" Avia teased.

"Umm... Yeah." Daxton realized his lie wasn't slipping past him.

"What's her name?"

Daxton thought momentarily. "Peyton." He blurted the name of the girl in his class who he really did like, but she was far from interested in Daxton, despite his charming personality, his electrifying baby blue eyes, and his blonde wavy hair.

"Peyton? Is she cute?" Avia pried.

"Yes. She's hot." Daxton smiled, wishing he actually was dating the cute girl from his class. "She has long brown hair." Daxton has her face in his mind, every boy in his class did. She was the girl every boy in the fifth grade wanted, whatever that meant.

"How'd you ask her out? I thought you couldn't even date in fifth grade... You guys can't even drive!" Avia laughed.

Daxton, though grateful Avia forgot about the journal, was not prepared to get trapped in his own lie, especially a lie Avia would never forget.

"Um... I said 'Will you be my girlfriend.'" Daxton shrugged.

"Romantic." Avia sarcastically said. "You should have her over sometime. I'd love to see the girl my baby brother managed to get."

"She can't come." Daxton abruptly said. "She's always busy."

"Whatever. You kids don't do anything crazy. Don't get too touchy when you play tag." Avia chuckled as she walked out.

"We don't play tag!" Daxton called after her. "We also aren't dating... But whatever." Daxton quietly laughed to himself.