Chapter Seven

I woke up to Toby shaking me and screaming my name.
"Logan! Wake up! The earth djinn is here!" I stood up as fast as I could and grabbed a spear, and ran out. Thankfully it wasn't near the camp, so it wouldn't destroy our shelters.

It was huge. About the size of an elephant, and made of stones, clay and dirt all suspended by the same clear gel as the water djinn, only this gel was brown. People had discarded their pole arms and grabbed some small logs, using them as clubs, beating back the pieces of earth that were flying at them. But every time something was knocked off, more dirt came off of the ground to replace it.

They finally beat it backwards onto a giant stump. Liam ran forwards and beat off a big clump. He swung again, expecting it to regrow, but hit nothing. It wasn't coming back. The djinn moved back onto the ground, and the chunk reunited with the rest immediately.

"Keep it on the stump!" Liam yelled. "As long as it's not touching the ground, it can't regenerate." People surrounded it, swinging at it with newfound strength. They kept swinging, continued closing in on the djinn to the point that it was nothing but the gel. I ran forwards with the spear and sunk it into what was left of the djinn. It let out a sound like a small mammal being slowly crushed as it stopped moving. I stabbed a few more times, just to be sure. I turned back to Toby.
"We need to put up some walls."
This time no one argued with him.

We came back with our hands full of the clay that we had knocked off the djinn. Toby and I took some back to our lean-to and dropped it just outside. I dropped down on my knees and got started with a fire to bake the clay. I watched as Toby picked a dead fish and walked over to a still sleeping Raphael and slapped him with it.
"Where the hell were you? The earth djinn hit!" He yelled as Raphael started to cradle his face. By then I was rolling on the ground laughing. I rolled next to the fire, and my shirt lit itself. I shot upwards wand started running around screaming, smacking at the fire to try and rid myself of it. Now it was they're turn to laugh. I finally got it off, but I had to run all the way to the lake and throw myself in the water to do so. I walked back to the others, dripping wet. They had started cooking the fish that Raphael had been slapped with. At the sight of me, they both started laughing, and Toby caught his hair on fire. He started sprinting for the lake, screaming and howling as he did so.

I know what you're thinking, we're idiots. But at least we're happy idiots. And honestly, happiness is something that isn't easy to come by during (our) apocalyptic times.

Value it, because you never know when you'll see it again.