Chapter four

A morning mist filled the air. Most people were already up; this was the first morning that I was able to sleep in since we had gotten to this... place. I sat up and looked around. Some people had gotten the idea to build tepees, lean-tos and log huts for shelter. I found Toby and shook him a little to try and wake him up. He stirred, and after much annoying, he finally sat up. It told him we should get started on our own shelter. We grabbed Jacob as well to give us a hand, and got started on our lean-to

Toby is average height, with Crimson hair and freckles everywhere, and is my closest  friend. I tried to count his freckles once, but I lost count at 2357. Jacob is an average looking guy, aside from his abnormal height. He has brown hair, blue eyes and a relatively large build.

My lack of sleep had finally gotten to me. My eyes were closing as I sunk my makeshift axe into the tree. I pulled my axe out and decided I would go get some rest before well asleep in the middle of the woods. Out of nowhere, yells erupted. A humanoid blur passed on my right and immediately ran out of sight. Loud crackling came from behind me.

And then it hit me.

I flew a meter across the mossy ground before hitting it with a thud. The ground shook right after I had hit, and I turned to see that the tree had fallen where I had been standing. I turned around once more and saw that same humanoid shape. With a wave if his hand, he disappeared. And then I blacked out.

I woke up multiple times but always went out again soon after. After multiple hours, I finally woke up. I had been sleeping right on the bank of the lake that sat next to our camp. I was glad that no one else was there; I was ashamed that I had gotten the crap beaten out of me so many times. I stood up and started to make my way over to make my bank. I fell to my knees and stared at my reflection in the water.

I realized that I hadn't seen my own face for almost a week.
My normally flat yet messy blonde hair was sticking up everywhere and was so dirty that it looked a whole shade darker. My green eyes were slightly bloodshot and my face had grime all over. I dipped my head in; the water was cool and refreshing. I went back in and just let it sit for a couple of seconds. I pulled back out to find Mikayla sitting on the bank as well, about 50 meters from me. She's a tall blonde girl who was fairly popular, so it surprised that she was alone. She hadn't noticed me yet, and I was happy enough to keep it that way hence my sullen mood.

I dipped my head in once more, only to find that I couldn't pull it out again. Something was pulling me closer towards the middle of the lake. I began thrashing, and guessing from the muffled screams, Mikayla also had been taken by the... Whatever it was. Her screaming stopped abruptly, which caused me to assume something or other had happened. Both worry and curiosity started to surge inside me. I reached down and raked through the sand, hoping to find something; anything. I managed to grab a jagged rock, and stabbed it into whatever was holding me. A screech came out as it's grip loosened, and I grabbed it and began swimming to the surface.

I started gasping for air. I was treading water as I turned around looking for Mikayla. I saw her, laying on the shore, regaining her breath. I started swimming back to shore, and realized that I was really far out. The thing that had attacked me had stopped moving and had gotten heavier. I reached the shore, and Mikayla asked me,
"What the hell was that?"
Her eyes widened as I dropped it's corpse in front of her.