Chapter six

The next morning, Jack still hadn't come back. I sat up inside my lean-to and found Toby and Raphael still asleep laying there. I had nothing to do, so I grabbed a spear and headed towards the lake, not having to worry about the djinn being there anymore.

Fish and various plants that were growing around were basically all anybody ate here. Still, no one was starving, and people had gotten the seeds for the plants, so we were doing okay. I waded deeper into the water and started waiting, perfectly still until a fish came. A large lake trout passed by my legs and I stabbed it through the head and threw it onto the shore.

I walked back into the lean to, weighed down with fish. Toby and Raphael were awake, and had started making a fire just outside. We started cooking the fish, and got the people from the two lean-tos and huts closest to us. Me, Toby, Raphael, Cath Mikayla and Emily sat down and ate in silence. After two minutes, Emily broke the silence.
"What do you think is gonna happen to Jack?" She asked. Me an Toby looked at each other, looked back at her and answered in unison,
"He's gonna die."
Mutters of agreement came from the others.

We continued eating, and Raphael turned to me and said,
"Why didn't you take me fishing? I wanted to go fishing."
"You weren't awake yet," I replied, "and you never told me that you wanted to."
"But I really wanted to..." He said with a fake pouting face. I laughed, and it hurt. I realized I hadn't laughed in a week. But right now, I could sit and laugh, and forget about all these things that were happening. And for the first we since we got here...
I was happy.

After eating, I went out for a walk with Raphael. It had been I while since we had gotten to talk, which was unfortunate considering he was a close friend.
"So," I said, "since we've been here, how many things have tried to kill y-" I was cut off by screams. We started sprinting in their direction to find out what was going on. We stopped to grab two spears but then set off again.

It was a dog. A huge, feral dog with raven black fur and teeth the size of my thumb. As we got closer, I could see people stabbing it with spears and and not even breaking the skin. Raphael charged at it, but with the same results.i dropped my spear and ran for a bow. I shot several arrows with the same effect, but I just kept shooting. Raphael joined means we shot until he hit the dog in the eye. It sank through and came out the other side. The dog let out screechy howl and fell to the ground. Raphael just stood, star struck by his own accuracy.

Later that night we had fish again. News was that so one had found clay and was making it into cups, plates, pots, jars and various other things. Toby had started digging a hole as well and had found a bit of clay himself. As I started gutting another fish, he made a messy pan out of the clay and put it over the fire. Within and hour, it was solid and we started cooking the fish.

After eating, I brought some fish for Luna and lay down once more inside the lean-to alongside Toby and Raphael. Luna curled up next to me, and for the first time since we had gotten here,  I fell asleep in peace.