Travelin' Soldier :: AureyTC

(Here's my entry for the prompt swap by RuddiestBubbles. This is BigEZ_6565 's prompt: How about a story based on the song Traveling Soldier by the Dixie Chicks (your choice on characters)

This is very heavily based on the song because I'm the most creative person on earth. I will add music later because I don't have Internet right now. Allso, BTC is known as Barry T. Christopher and Aurey is Ally Reylian.)

This is taking forever, were the thoughts of the soldier standing on the corner that day. He was waiting for the bus; he had shown up quite a bit earlier than it was expected, but time seemed to pass faster in his head.
Barry decided to get some coffee in the cafe across the street. It won't hurt, right? He walked through the crosswalk and into the café, hearing the pleasant ring of the bell as he stepped inside and took a seat by the window.

It took only a minute or two before a young girl with a bow in her cherry red hair came by the table to take his order.

"Hi, welcome to Annie Mae's Cafe! What would you like today?" she asked brightly.
Barry glanced up at the pretty girl. Her green eyes sparkled as she awaited an answer. He felt his cheeks warm up. "Um, uh, I'll have a..." He scanned the menu. "A hazelnut coffee with, uh, two extra shots, um, of espresso. Please."

The girl smiled at him. "It'll be right out." Noticing his forlorn expression, she hurried to bring the drink out and then sat next to him.

"What's up? You look sad," she stated, cutting right to the chase.

Barry took a sip of the coffee. "Well, I've got a bus to catch but it's not here."

"Where's the bus to?" she asked.

"An army camp in California."

There was a brief silence. "I see...I get off work in an hour. I've a place we can go."
He cracked a smile. "Cool. I'm Barry, by the way. Barry T. Christopher."

The girl replied, "My name is Ally Reylian. Anyway, I'll come get you in an hour? There's another bus you can catch later today."

Barry nodded. "Yes, yes that'll be good. Thank you, Ms. Ally."

-in an hour-

"Alright, we're done cleaning up in the back. Ready to go?" she asked, flashing that beautiful bright smile.

Barry stood to his feet. "Of course!"

He followed her out of the cafe and down the sidewalk, soon coming to a shady path in the woods. "Where are we goin'?" he asked, although he really didn't mind...as long as he was with this girl.

Ally giggled. "Look."

Barry stuck his head out from behind her and followed the red-head onto the pier. Water brushed the dock choppily below them as they sat down. A spray caught Ally on her pretty pink shoes.

Out of the blue, Barry looked her straight in the eye and said, "You probably have a boyfriend. But I've got no family, no friends, no one to send letters to. Would you mind if I sent one back here to you?"

A blush tinted Ally's cheeks. She happily answered, "Of course not! I'd love it! And I don't have a boyfriend."

The rest of the day was spent sitting on the pier talking, ending in Ally falling into the water while Barry looked on with a playfully mocking face.