Chapter Five : Riding the Stars

"Stardust?!! What are you doing here?" Lynette gasped aloud in shock as the glimmering Horse suddenly appeared right in front of her, in the middle of the school hallway. Sure, I'd had liked to see Stardust again, but not right in the middle of school!! Lynette thought frantically. Just then, Stardust's shimmery voice interrupted her thoughts.

"SIlly Rider you are," Stardust laughed as Lynette scowled, "Use telepathy! And secondly, only you can see me. So stop staring. People are going to think you're a nutcase."

Lynette gritted her teeth. She didn't really care what other thought, after all she didn't have any close friends in school after Emily left. Ah! Emily, she remembered her friend. I ought to tell her what I found out about the whole 'glint during the storm' thing! Almost as if Stardust had seen Lynette's thoughts, the Horse shook her head disapprovingly.

"Kaldrak is completely confidential, even to your closest of friends!" Stardust's voice was imposing and stern. "How will we know if she'll ever join the other dark forces of our Universe?"

"Urgh..." Lynette groaned angrily, slamming her locker door shut and storming off down the corridor with her books tucked under her arm. "What makes you so sure she would? I trust her to be loyal! Besides, what other dark forces are there?"

Stardust fell into step beside her easily. " We can never be sure how many. Greed is the root of all evil here, and constantly groups of power-hungry people develop random new planets in the Universe. Their sole purpose -- to steal Kaldrak's infinite power, of course! You never know when they will begin to recruit and brainwash youths from Earth. Emily could be one of their targets!"

Lynette could hear the sheer tension and seriousness of the issue on Stardust's voice. Forcing down her piqued curiosity, she let Stardust follow her to class. Maybe she could bring up the topic to Professor Namsin during her trip that night to Kaldrak.

"So..." She attempted to change the topic. "Tell me more about your family."

Stardust smiled easily, glad the tension was gone. "Well... My family is a nuclear one. Just me, my sister, and our parents. Our parents are the 1009th generation of Horses since the first pair. That makes me the 1010th generation! Rather long lineage, huh?" Stardust added proudly.

"Yeah, and nice number!"

"Wait... You mean the classroom number or my generation number?" Stardust asked, slightly confused. Lynette looked up and realized that they had arrived at her classroom already.

She laughed shyly. "Generation number, if course," she clarified.

---

"Class, today we have a surprise test," sniggered Lynette's Geography teacher, Mr Laments. He wrote down the time from the test as she walked into class with Stardust at her side.

Geography Test -- 8:00 am - 8:30 am

"You never said anything about it yesterday!" Lynette protested in horror.

"Its a surprise test, you silly," a voice mocked from behind her. Lynette spun around and found herself looking at a girl with porcelain skin long straw-coloured braids falling over her shoulders. "I'm Natilda, by the way, moron," she sneered, seeing Lynette confused face.

Lynette gritted her teeth as the sat down at her desk, her temper boiling. Faking a smile back at Natilda, she replied sacarstically, "Thanks for the compliment!" With a slight wink, she turned away from the snobbish girl.

"Chop chop, class! Get to work!" Mr Laments flipped the papers onto everyone's desk. Lynette grabbed her paper and scribbled her name down.

Q1) Explain the formation of a waterfall.