Chapter 1

Disclaimer.   I don't own Naruto or it's plot. But I do own my own characters.  Please don't copy. I worked hard on this.

  I was born a member of the Chi Clan in Konoha, the village hidden in the leaves. I was an ignorant child of five when tragedy struck my family. I thought my family was as happy as it could be. I was oblivious to the signs that basically screamed that my family was already broken, and that my father was the only one that kept the family together.

 My sister, Rayne, was in her first year of high school. She was my role model. I could almost swear that a halo of light constantly surrounded her. She was pretty, smart, funny, and people fell in love with her the moment they met her. She had the potential to be Konoha's heart throb. And she had this way with words, this persuasive and articulate way to speak that instantly made you want to be on her side in any type of argument. I was simply a brainless five year old. I didn't realize that she wasn't happy, or that she was suffering along with my parents. 

I also didn't realize that mother, who had been a  kunoichi before she got pregnant with my older sister,  was still having nightmares about her past missions. Rayne had once told me that mom's team mates had been killed in battle. At the time, I didn't know what the word slaughter meant.

 Dad, a faithful konoha shinobi loathed his job. He was ranked a  jounin when he was 16, and was sent on gruesome missions that no father could ever be proud of. 

My younger brother Hitomi, who was two years old when dad died, was just as clueless as I. My three month old baby sister were my parents first priority since she was quite sickly. That much I was able to understand. 

All the signs were all there. I was just too blind to see them.

 My parents had hushed arguments in their bedroom late at night. They began to disagree with each other more and more. Rayne understood perfectly. She took a full blow to her consciousness. She thought they were going to get divorced. If only that were the worst that could have happened.  

It had been one of those weird days where the weather seemed to be gloomy one moment, and agonizingly hot the next when he died. I remember my parents having quarreled for hours the night before. Much worse than usual. The next morning, my father went out on an errand, but he had refused to answer Rayne when she asked what it was. It still remains a mystery, and I find myself pondering over it continuously. What was dad doing the last few hours before he died? During even more depressing days, I question why he didn't spend them with his family.

                                                                *****************************************

I hauled my small purple blanket along with me, allowing it to drag along the floor. The sun beat down harshly on the pavement outside, enough for me to be able to see the nearly invisible heatwaves soaring up into the sky. I stayed entranced until pounding on the stairs make me rip my eyes away. 

Rayne came stumbling down the stairs in a rush. Her face was pink from exertion and her blood red eyes were wide.  Seconds later, father walked past her and through the living room. There was a suffocating aura surrounding him, and he barely glanced at us before striding past me and out of the front door. Rayne's mouth hung open comically before she finally closed it and followed dad out. I watched from the window out of curiosity.  Something wasn't right and even I was able to tell.

The sun was suddenly covered by clouds, making the day seem gloomy.  The damned weather. Father and Rayne seemed to be having a heated argument, based on how tense they both were and the way Rayne flung her arms around.