Adulthood

When you're young, you look at being a grown-up with wonderment in your eyes. It's this magical place where you can do everything you want, whenever you want. 

As you slowly grow up, you come to realize more and more that adulthood isn't that thrilling. It is mainly monotony, broken up at random with certain unique events: vacations, births, marriages, deaths. Adulthood is getting up, doing what you did yesterday, then going to bed, all while wistfully wondering how things would be had you made different choices. Maybe if you had chosen red instead of blue, or turned left instead of right, or said no instead of yes, it would all be different. 

It might have been different. Most likely though, you would have ended up waking up, doing the same thing you did yesterday and going to bed. That "thing" would be different, but would that matter in the long run? 

The issue isn't with life itself nor the choices we make, but rather the problem lies with the eye-clawing boredom of the routine and the unshakeable feeling of being stuck and devoid of free choice. Sure, the choice is there, but reality constricts us. There will always be too many bills, too little time, not enough money, and the crushing weight of our responsibilities. 

If we're lucky, we find someone who makes us feel like we want to complain just a bit less.