Let's Wake the House Up

"Girl you got what I want
Come and get what you need
I tattooed triple X on my stomach
Come and see what that means."
- Masterpiece, Machine Gun Kelly (Kid Culprit)

"Can we please go out tonight?" Kelsey whines. "It's my first day of freedom where I don't have my brothers or Dad breathing down my neck." 

"Kelsey, I am trying to become a better person and cut down on the parties and wild life. Can you respect that?"

"Okay, fine." Kelsey gives in. "You can be the designated driver."

"That's not what I meant at all." I laugh. "You know what, okay, we can go out. Under one condition."

"Yay!" Kelsey claps her hands together. "Wait, what's the condition?"

"You drive me wherever I want for the next month." 

"I already do that, so I accept that." She holds her hand out and I gladly shake it. "Okay, Jenny text me, she said there's a party on St. Clair."

"I know where that is. Who's throwing the party?" I query as I pull out black skinny jeans and a black cami crop top to pair with a Cleveland's baseball jersey. 

"I don't know, I guess some guy Jackson knows." Kelsey puts the over night bag on my bed and goes through it. She pulls out a mint blue skater skirt and a white top. 

"Oh, alright." I shrug. We both strip out of our clothes and get dress. "Are you curling your hair?"

"I might." Kelsey thinks about it. "Yeah, I am. Are you?"

"Nope."

"Good, that means you can curl mine." Kelsey claps again. After getting dress, we go to bathroom to do our hair and make up. Kelsey puts on her eyeliner and lipstick as I curl her hair. "Have you spoken to Then and Now?"

"I don't how you come up with movie titles to refer to Colson, but it's amazing how you come up with them on the spot." I say. "And yes, we speak."

"A lot? Do you guys speak a lot?"

"Um, yeah, a fair amount." I confirm. Kelsey still doesn't know that Colson is staying here with me. I don't know why I haven't told her. Maybe it's because she's going to tell me we're moving too fast or he could be an ax murder or maybe, I haven't told her because I have a feeling she isn't too fond of him. I don't know.

"You seem happier, Courtney." She stops doing her eyeliner to look at me in the mirror. "I haven't seen you this happy sober in a long while. But I like this Courtney better than the drunk one."

"Thanks, Kels." I smile back at her.

"Courtney! You're burning my flipping hair!" Kelsey shrieks.

I curse and untangle her hair from the curling iron. "Sorry, sorry, sorry. We were having a moment and I totally forgot."

Haley stands in the doorway of the bathroom. "You guys going out?"

"Yeah, if your sister doesn't kill me before we can leave." Kelsey dramatically says.

"Can I come?" Haley sounds so hopeful, I almost can't say no.

"Not this time, little one. These parties aren't for you quite yet."  I say and Haley frowns. "But I promise we can do whatever you want tomorrow. What do ya say?"

"Evan asked me to hang out with him tomorrow." 

Kelsey and I turn to look at my little sister. "I don't know if that's a good idea, Hals."