Chapter 4

Chapter 4

The present

Emma's POV:

"Heads-up, Grey's coming over," Landon informs me. 

I place my book down and raise an eyebrow at him. "So, we're talking now?" Ever since Xavier told Landon that we'd been together, Landon's been ignoring me flat. It's an obvious indication that he's beyond upset with me.

Landon is the way he is because he practically raised me. He used to be my guardian when I was a teen, hence why he's so protective over me. He had to be the parent when our dad passed away. Landon, as the oldest, stepped up to the plate and took on the responsible role between us; Mom sure as hell wasn't going to.

Landon ignores my jab and continues to explain, "Grey's bringing JT over too. He says Jay needs the distraction." 

My expression brightens at the reference to Jay. 

"I knew that would cheer you up," he smirks at me knowingly.

I used to have a massive crush on Jay at one point. It was a time before I knew Xavier. The problem with Jay was that he'd never pay attention. You could openly flirt with him and he wouldn't ever take the bait. It was always as if his mind was elsewhere. Eventually, I learned that it was a girl named Aqueela who he'd always been so taken up with.

"Don't jump to conclusions, Lan. I'm only happy 'cause Jay is a total sweetheart. He lifts everyone's spirits," I say, defending myself.

"Not anymore," Landon corrects me. "He's a moody grump now."

Aqueela really messed Jay up after she left and never came back. Ever since then, Jay's not been the same. He's broken. 

"He needs to meet someone new," I voice my thoughts aloud. Aqueela is a girl from the past. JT needs to move on. She's made it perfectly clear that she isn't coming back for him. If she were going to, she would've already. It's been two years. 

I've always liked Aqueela. She's like a breath of fresh air. She's different. Upon first meeting her, I instantly got why Jay liked her so much. However, I think she's damn insane to throw Jay, of all people, away. 

"Have someone in mind?" Landon wags his eyebrows at me as if implying something.

I scowl at him. "Funny," I retort sarcastically, getting the gist of what he means. "Wipe that grin off your face. We've been over this, JT is not the guy for me."

Besides, I don't think Jay will ever love anyone as much as he loved Aqueela. She is his one and only. From what I've heard, from Grey, he has loved Aqueela his entire life. A love like that doesn't just die or fade. In his eyes, no other girl will be able to compete with what he had with Aqueela.

Landon frowns. "Why not?" he questions. "JT's a good guy. Why do you always go after the jerks?"

That was a clear dig at Xavier's character.

Jay is the only guy Landon has ever approved of for me. He and Jay have always been somewhat close. Jay is one of the few people who he doesn't completely despise with everything in him.