Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The present

Emma's POV:

"What, 'Pretty Boy' ignoring you?" Grey asks as he follows my gaze, only to see Xavier flirting with some random, brunette girl.

I nod. "He's been ignoring me flat this entire week," I answer, not bothering to explain to Grey why. Knowing Grey, he'll find out by himself in any case. "He's just being real childish," I mumble to myself, slightly irritated in the fact that he won't even acknowledge me. 

Landon, on the other hand, is surfing cloud nine now that Xavier has backed off from me. He couldn't be happier.

"He's always been immature," Grey retorts, shaking his head at the sight of Xavier hitting on someone else other than me.

"True," I reluctantly agree. 

"I see your brother's been busy," Grey adds, changing the subject after sensing that I'm done commenting on Xavier. "That's new."

I glance to the beautiful girl on my brother's arm before making a remark, "Yeah, I know, it's weird, right?" 

Landon doesn't date often. When he does, it's usually something serious and lasting. He doesn't play around when it comes to relationships. He's a faithful guy. 

"Very," Grey agrees.

Our friends, including Grey, are aware that Landon kind of gave up on the dating scene about the same time our dad passed away. He stepped in and became accountable for both of us. He was deprived of his own life and therefore didn't make time to meet new people.

"You know her?" Grey asks me, inquisitive.

It's always nice to see Lan making an effort once in a while. I've been hoping for a great girl to come around and just snag him up already. Lan needs someone good in his life, someone who will support him in all his many issues.

I nod. "Sort of. He introduced me to her a few weeks ago when they were still just friends," I explain. "Seems they have progressed since then," I conclude with a smile. All I want for Landon is for him to be happy. "Either way, she seems like a great person."

"Good," Grey replies. "Now, it's just you," he motions over to Xavier with a mischievous grin, insinuating something else altogether.

"No," I huff in refusal. "Not him."

Grey chuckles. "You two would be indestructible together," he says. "Actually, maybe it's a good thing you hate him."

I don't hate him, I just don't particularly like him or his attitude.

"Grey..." I exclaim, exasperated. He knows that in some twisted way, I do consider Xavier as one of the people most closest to me.

"Just saying," he teases further, flashing me a half-smile.

I shake my head at him, biting back a smile. Grey's a nice person when he wants to be. Credit to him, he's one of my best friends. He's incredibly loyal and you can talk to him about pretty much anything and everything without being judged.