Recovery

Hi everyone! I don't know if I can do a long chapter here, but I'm going to try and give Lindsay some background info or something... I think that I'll pretty much write it as I go.

Being stuck in a bed really sucks. I know that there are definitely people who have it a whole lot worse, but being stuck really really sucks.

One of the scientists got me a book while I was stuck in there, and I think it's some sort of joke. They gave me a book called Maximum Ride, which is about a bunch of bird-kid hybrids who beat the crap out of the scientists who made them into mutants.

Is this a hint? Am I supposed to fight my way out of here and be free once I get my pair of wings? I plan on beating the crap out of a whole lot of people anyway, but should I do it to escape?

And who will I get to kiss in the end? Max gets Fang, so it's only fair if I break out of here that I get someone to kiss as well. The only boy I know that's my age is the Tailor, and because of Lindsay I'm pretty sure he's off limits.

Lindsay.

Dang.

The name suits her, there's no doubt about it, but it's different. In such a good way.

Since the injury, she's come in here multiple times to talk. I'm so glad that I have someone I can just talk to like that. I don't think I've had a true friend since.... ever? I might've had some good friends in middle school, but they were so far off from how Lindsay and I are. She's told me a lot more about herself as well. Her parents disappeared four years ago, and she lived with her 'gram gram' until three months ago. She started crying when she told me about when gram gram went into the hospital, and couldn't continue soon after. I did my best to make her feel better, but being stuck in the bed really limited what I could do.

Soon after that, Lindsay taught me some things about modern culture that I didn't know because oh yeah I was homeless. New technology and the most popular clothes brands were among the things she told me. The thing that caught my attention most, however was her singing. Lindsay wanted me to hear some of the most popular music, but had no way to play it, so singing it was. It went like this.

"Okay, I want to do something to show you a different kind of pop culture, but you have to promise not to laugh," Lindsay said in all seriousness.

"Um.. Okay?" I agreed, nervous.

"So this is called Shut Up And Dance by Walk the Moon." she cleared her throat and closed her eyes.

In a soft and gentle voice, she began to sing.

"'Oh don't you dare look back.
Just keep your eyes on me.'
I said, 'You're holding back, '
She said, 'Shut up and dance with me!'
This woman is my destiny
She said, 'Ooh-ooh-hoo,
Shut up and dance with me.'" At this point, she had gotten into the song. Singing louder and more confidently, she continued.

"We were victims of the night,
The chemical, physical, kryptonite
Helpless to the bass and the fading light

Oh, we were bound to get together,
Bound to get together." Lindsay opened her eyes and started bobbing her head and dancing a little.

"She took my arm,
I don't know how it happened.
We took the floor and she said,

'Oh, don't you dare look back.
Just keep your eyes on me.'
I said, 'You're holding back, '
She said, 'Shut up and dance with me!'
This woman is my destiny
She said, 'Ooh-ooh-hoo,
Shut up and dance with me.'"

There was a pause as I realized that she was done.

"That was amazing!" I said, gently.

"You really think so?"

"Yes! You're an amazing singer. Do you know any more?"

"Yes, but this is the last one I'm going to sing right now. I do need something to show off later, you know," she said with a smirk. "So this is Renegades by someone I don't remember."

"That's an interesting band name," I mentioned.

"No, like, I don't remember the name of the band."

"Oh, okay. Continue when you please." I said, preparing myself for her voice.

"Run away-ay with me," she began, starting a lot louder and more upbeat than before. Pausing before the next verse as if waiting for unheard music, Lindsay nodded to the beat.

"Lost souls in revelry,
Running wild and running free,
Two kids, you and me.

And I said hey!
Hey, hey, hey!
Living like we're renegades
Hey, hey, hey!
Hey, hey, hey!
Living like we're renegades,
Renegades.

Renegades.

Long live the pioneers,
Rebels and mutineers,
Go forth and have no fear,
Come close and lend an ear.

And I said hey!" I noticed that she was singing the chorus again, and because I remembered how it went from last time, I sang along.
"Hey, hey, hey!" I sang, adding my voice to hers. She smiled and continued to sing.
"Living like we're renegades,
Hey, hey, hey!
Hey, hey, hey!
Living like we're renegades.
Renegades.

Renegades..."

I still do want to hear more of Lindsay's singing, it's really beautiful, but she won't sing any more until "something special happens that deserves singing." Basically, I have to make it across the flight chamber in one piece... Or not. I'm pretty sure that she'll sing either way.

She also brought in some scientists to look at me and feel ashamed that their machine broke, so that's nice. There weren't even any "I'm sorry's" muttered guiltily, they just stood there looking at anything but me.

Lindsay gets off of whatever she does in five minutes, so I should probably wrap up my log for now.

Au revoir!

No. That's too chiché to end on.

So how was it? Let me know where I can fix anything to make it better. Also, I do not own Maximum Ride ot those songs, and Renegades is by X Ambassadors. The lyrics were acquired through azlyrics.com (and were not the entire song, that would be way too long). I might update more/less often because of school now in session, but I will try to keep it updated. Having a reader (jujubee600) IRL constantly telling me to update will definitely help on updating. Thanks for any feedback, positive and negative.