Chapter 5

Chapter 5

After my brief discussion with Officer Wild I felt kind of wishy-washy.

First about leaving, to start again on my journey.

Or to stay a while, because quite frankly, I liked it here.

While I was endlessly debating with myself, I heard a knock on the door. Suspiciously, I peeked through the key whole. 

There stood no one else, but Luke. I was about the open the door when.. 

Okay well ever since I was 4 I learned not to trust anyone too quickly, or even at all. Every day my mother and I would walk past strangers walking their dogs in the park, or mothers offering us a stay, but my mother politely refused, and kept on walking.

“Do not trust anyone,” My mother had told be sternly. “no matter how good looking, thoughtful, kind, or convincing.” I didn’t know what she meant by “convincing”, but I nodded anyway, just like I always did.

So when I was about to turn the petite hand on my apartment door to let this stranger in, I decided not to. Instead I said, “Yes?”

“It’s me Luke. I live next door. I just wanted to say hi, and actually meet you. I didn’t realize who you were earlier. Mrs. Tibbits told me all about you.” He told me, with a smile on his face.

“Hi.” I just said. He stood there in silence for a little while, until he asked the question that ALWAYS put me on guard, no matter where I was living.

“May I come in?” He asked, sort of aggravated. I hesitated.

“Uh, sure.” I replied with a worried look on my face, as I slowly pulled open the door.

He was wearing a blue and white striped shirt, paired with some obviously worn black jeans.

Surprisingly, he looked even cuter than the last time I saw him.

Yeah, right.

As if that was even possible.

As soon as he saw me, he smiled.

"Hey." he said.

"Is that all you can say?" I asked, slightly aggravated.

"Woah. This place is a mess." He said, laughing.

"It's all I could get okay?!?" I yelled. This guy was getting on my nerves more and more my the second.

"Woah calm down girly. I was just trying to be "neighborly" and come over." he told me, using air quotes.

"You come into my apartment, trash talk about how bad my room looks, and you call that "neighborly"??" I yelled again. Man, this guy was getting on my nerves. Shock spread through his face, followed by anger.

"I'm leaving." he said angrily, and barged out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

"Bye." I said smugly. 

It was just like my mother said.

Never trust anyone.

No matter how convincing, or in the case, beautiful.