Chapter 8

(Zaria's photo in header)

-ZARIA-

All eyes were on me in the conference room. Tomorrow marks one year since I've been undercover and I have yet to connect Cannon Davis to any of the funds that the fellow detectives believe he's embezzled over the course of six years. "Really, Matthews? You've been living with this criminal for one whole year and you still have shit to provide to the case? Why am I even wasting time on you?" That was my captain. He was a lovable guy most days. Today not being one of those days.

It was ten at night and he was still in the same shitty mood he's been in since 10 this morning.

"It's not that simple, Warner," I responded, calling him by his sir name. "I've tried accessing his laptop but I can't get in. Whenever I come around and he's on the laptop he suddenly closes it, or exits out his current screen. I just know all the evidence we need is on that stupid laptop," I looked around the room, gaining nods of support. "Also,I have this gut feeling that he has cameras set up around the house but I can't find any. He's smart... way smarter than you guys credit him to be." I mumbled the last part. There was no denying the soft spot that I had in my heart for Cannon. They told me not to fall in love with him– you're only doing a job, they said.

Shit, they weren't in my position so they couldn't know how completely useless their warnings were. I fell for Cannon and I fell hard.

"I think you chose the wrong agent, Warner. I told you to send me in last year. I would have that slime bag pillow talking to me every night about the millions he's swindled from unsuspecting civilians." My jaw clenched and I was shooting daggers at the bitch.

"Keri, please. You were so unaware of your husband sleeping with your nanny two years ago. Just imagine how unaware you'd be when Cannon dropped all the hints surrounding his dirty money game?" I smirked once I hear snickers from some of the detectives. Even Warner had a faint smile on his wrinkled face. She only glared at me for a couple of seconds before grabbing her folders and storming out the conference room.

Touchy subject?

"If you are done, Ms. Matthews." Captain shook his head at me before turning back to the projector and pointing to Cannon's – provided by me of course. "I didn't put you undercover for you to take a decade to dig up some dirt on Mr. Davis. We have you wearing a wire everyday and all we ever hear are giggles and unattractive sex jokes. I'm giving you one more month–"

"One month? Captain!" I sprung from my seat. It took me almost a year for Cannon to even open up to me on his family. When asked about any past lovers he shrugged me off and told me that they weren't relevant. As if I didn't already know about Angela Omars. The original plan was for me to wait until Angela got released from prison this year, and to infiltrate her life and get her to spill all the T on Cannon.

However, I stepped up to the plate last year and suggested the undercover girlfriend tactic. Captain loved it and I've been on the job ever since. "Two months... but that's it. If you can't get him to say something among the lines of, "I, Cannon Davis, confess to the misappropriation of funds from the years 2009-2015.. then what purpose do you serve this team?" And with that he powered off the projector and dismissed the meeting.

Fuck.

As if my night couldn't have gotten any worse, the message on my phone was the cherry on top.

From Cannon: Look... things aren't working out. It's not u it's me. I love you but I'm not in love with you. Don't come home 2night... I need time to myself.

 I need time to myself

ANGELA-

I screamed when Cannon's mouth came in contact with my big toe. "Ewww, you're so nasty!" I used the heel of my foot to push his head away from my legs. It was midnight and this boy had all the energy in the world. Me on the other hand? I was tired as shit ever since I finished dinner. "I wasn't nasty when we were nineteen. You used to love that shit. Prison got you acting brand new?" I chuckled when he rolled his eyes at me like a bird.

"If you don't shut yo gay ass up..."

"Ain't shit about me gay, girlfriend." When he placed his hand on his waist and poked out his lips I lost it. My stomach hurt so much as I bawled my heart out. "You see how much I love you? I end things with Zaria so that you could be here." I turned my head to the side when he tried to kiss me.

"She wouldn't be in the picture if you had just waited on my release. You did three years without getting a new bitch. I mean I knew that you were out here fuckin' because ain't no man gonn wait three years for some pussy," when he nodded I rolled my eyes, "But to get a whole ass bitch? And to have her playing my spot? Nah, that's some disrespectful shit and I'm not sure if I forgive you yet." I crossed my arms over my chest and pouted my lips.

"Angie, if you don't get yo ole, drama class ass somewhere." He scooped my pretending ass up and held me close to his chest like I was a baby. "You could never be mad at me for long so drop that shit right now. You the one, and you here in my arms for a reason. Stop talking about it now, alright? You won." A smirk touched my lips.

"Mehgan!"

"No, just leave already!" I rolled my eyes. Why was my best friend so dramatic? Oh wait, that's because I was the same way. I guess birds of a feather really do flock together...

"Come out and give me a hug, bih. You know I'm still gonn be over here everyday and I know your nosy ass gonn' find a way up to the crib so stop the faking!" I banged on the door two more times before looking over at Cannon. I really wanted to ask him to break down this door like his linebacker ass did the one downstairs. But ima chill. A few seconds later the door was being pulled back and Mehgan stood there with a cheesy smile on her face.

"You faking ass bih!" I pointed a finger in her face before falling into her open arms. "I really did like having you here. But if you gotta go with yo man, go 'head. I got a nigga coming over tonight anyways." My jaw dropped. "See! This is exactly why I gotta go! You was gonn have me up all night listening to your satanic ass moans." When Cannon fell out laughing she glared at me.

"Like yours sound any better! I know Cannon ain't all that for you to be moaning like your kids getting slaughtered right before your eyes. Get the fuck out–"

"Aye! I puts it down on Ang, aight?" We both side eyed Cannon before falling out laughing. "I'll text you later, okay?" When she nodded I gave her another tight hug.

This was my day 1.