Chapter Nine.

"So." I perked my head up at the sound of Her voice. It had been days since the last time I'd seen her, but she sat across from me at the kitchen table with her long, brown hair in a high ponytail and a smug smirk on her face like she'd never left at all. "What are you wearing to the party?"

    I closed my book, zoning out of my world of Divergents and focusing on my beautiful girl who sat with her knees tucked into her chest. "Lillian" I grinned. "Hi."

   "Hi, baby," she smiled warmly. "So, come on, what are you wearing?"

  I looked down at what I was wearing- black t-shirt, black jeans, black Converse. Everything looked about right.

   "You're wearing that?" She asked, clear distaste on her face.

  I shrugged. "What's wrong with it?"

  "I dunno," she sighed. "Just seems a little mediocre for a graduation party. Sucks I couldn't have one."

  "She's your friend," I rolled my eyes. "She's lucky I'm even showing up."

  "Oh whatever," she threw her head back in laughter. I'd missed that sound so much. Every part of me that had been so tired the last few days seemed to spring back into life as she laughed. "Don't act like she isn't your friend, Harry. You two do tend to curse at each other a lot, though. I love it."

I rolled my eyes despite the fact I was smiling. "She's doing a lot better than I am."

   "Maybe," Lily shrugged. "Or maybe she's just better at hiding it. I see you're taking someone. What's her name? Elena?"

   "It's not like that," I shook my head quickly. Lily laughed. I glanced at the clock on the stove- it was already almost six-thirty and I'd promised Elena I'd be at her place by seven.  

  I stood up quickly, grabbing my leather jacket off the back of my chair and folding it in one hand. As much as I wanted to stay here with Lily, I couldn't back out. Amelia would kill me ." Hopefully I'll see you when I get back?"

  She nodded slowly. "Yeah," she said. "Hopefully."

---------

    Elena lived in a cozy neighborhood. Her house wasn't very big, by any means, but it still looked homey from the outside with its full garden of different budding flowers and the basketball hoop in the driveway.

   I hadn't even been outside long enough to call her before a head of blonde hair was peeking through the door. She called something out, and shut her front door behind her.

   "Hey," she said as she slid into the passenger seat. She smiled over at me after she clicked her seatbelt into place. Her hair came down in loose curls pinned away from her face and she was wearing a mauve-colored cardigan and tight jeans even though it was nearly eighty degrees outside.

   "Won't you be a little warm?" I asked her, raising a brow. "I mean, since you're wearing a sweater and all?"

   She looked down at her outfit, a frown on her face. "I think I'll be all right."