Prologue

Part of me doesn't like remembering what happened during the period of time I call, 'The Nothing.' A bigger part of me does, so I write the memories down in a three-word summary.

Night. Invincible. Fear.

I used to do it all the time when I was younger. I had heard about a story on the news, of a young boy whose parents had tragically died. The boy was only seven at the time, and I recall hearing him say the only thing he wished was that he could remember more about them.

Confusion. Punishment. Fire.

Thinking I was smart, I began to write down all of my favourite memories in little three-word stories, figuring I wouldn't forget. What I didn't know was that those happy stories would quickly turn painful when I looked back on them, and the stories to come wouldn't be happy again for a long time to come.

Concrete. Steel. Cell.

And for some reason, that boy's story stuck with me. Stuck with me before, during and after The Nothing and everything in between. It wouldn't leave my head.

Silver. Bars. Darkness.

I couldn't help but wonder what it felt like. What it felt like when that boy lost everything in only a second. What he was thinking when he heard of his lost family. What he had taken for granted before he couldn't anymore.

Laughter. Blood. Screams.

I assumed he had a, 'You don't know what you've got until it's gone,' scenario. Where he didn't realise how much time he spent with those who weren't there anymore, and all of a sudden, he didn't know what to do with that now free time.

Terror. Hunger. Weakness.

Now? Now I know differently. Now I know that that boy didn't not know what he had till it was gone. No, he knew what he had, he just never thought he'd lose it. At least not so soon, not so abruptly, not so tragically.

Scars. Wishes. Murder.

I never thought I'd lose my youth, the ability to see the good in everything. I didn't think I'd be separated from my family, and I didn't think I'd lose someone like I did. I didn't think I'd ever be in the same situation as that boy.

Hoping. Running. Murderer.

But it all happened. I lost my youth, my innocence. I was separated from my family both physically and mentally, and I lost the one person I wanted so desperately to live.

Saving. Death. Empty.

And now I wonder what that boy is doing now. Has he successfully made it through school? Is he a troublemaker? A straight 'A' student? Does he even attend school?

Fixation. Memory. Freedom.

Most of all, I want to know what the hell's going to happen to me now? What the hell do I do now? Can I even come back from this?

Paranoia. Nightmares. Guilt.

I escaped, sure, but did I really win?