Chapter 1

••••• Kate's POV •••••

"Why the fuck do you look like a piece of shit on the first day back to school, Katherine Grae?"

Oh how I've missed my best friend.

"Yes Claire, I've missed you too." I said, rolling my eyes, "How was London?"

"Don't you dare try to change the subject Kate. What happened? Answer." Claire stood her ground in front of me with her arms crossed. It was a hilarious sight because she was at least 4 inches shorter than me and looks like a blonde fairy.

"Jayce King happened. The car bro--" I began, until a high pitch scream stopped me.

"KATE! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME?"

I turned around to see Lynn running down the hall with a towel thrown over her shoulder. Two seconds later, I'm on the floor being squashed by her.

"Ouch. Have you forgotten how to say "hi Kate" before tackling me?" I pushed her off of me and rubbed my skull. I'm going to have a horrible bump there later on.

Meet my two best friends - Clarisse and Merilynda Martin.

They are the first two girls I met during the first day of 4th grade. I didn't intend to make new friends, let alone have two best friends. Claire and Lynn are both cousins, but are complete polar opposites.

For one, Claire is a blonde girl with blue eyes, with the height of a pixie - five foot tall. Not only is she short, but she is freaking gorgeous. She could be Miss Universe if she wanted to, without trying. Needless to say, she's popular despite her height. However, as life would have it, she is the clumsiest person alive and has absolutely no hand eye coordination. I guess she needed something to balance out her beauty.

Then there's Lynn. She has curly red hair and green eyes to match. Where Claire has a fair complexion, Lynn is as pale as they come, making her freckles stand out even more. Lynn is about the same height as me, standing at five foot five. She is the most athletically involved student in the school. Besides being captain of the swim team and girl's soccer team and president of the school's sports association, she's also available to play official basketball and baseball games whenever she has time.

Lastly, there's me. The plain one in our misfit trio. I have wavy brown hair and dull blue eyes. There is nothing interesting about me, except for the fact that I choreograph the cheers for the cheerleaders. Other than that, nothing else.

"Earth to Kate? Are you daydreaming again?" Lynn snapped her fingers in face to get my attention. I rolled my eyes at her before resuming my search for the nearest washroom before my lovely friends interrupted me.

"Kate, you didn't answer my question. What happened to you?" I turned my head to the left to see Claire keeping pace with me. It seems like I won't be able to kept them away.

"I know what happened. Jayce gave Kate a ride to school in his sexy Camero," said Lynn, who was to the right of me. She wiggled her eyebrows at me suggestively before I lightly shoved her away.

"Against my will... Kinda," I bit my lower lip and turned to the left where the door was to the washroom. It felt like I was walking forever to find one.

Once we got into the washroom, there was a group of who I assumed to be freshmen girls applying their fiftieth layer of makeup... Quite horribly, might I add. I mean, I'm no makeup expert since my brother won't approve of it, but I'm sure their faces were way too cakey to look natural.

"Everyone leave the washroom immediately," said Claire with her hands on her hips, as she stood in front of Lynn, who stood in front of me.

Claire is the last person you'd expect to be scary, especially because of her looks and height, but hell. She can throw a punch better than anyone I know, and can do it without breaking a nail. Her parents made both Lynn and her get self-defence lessons ever since they decided to move out and live together their Sophomore year.

I think I heard a growl from the girls before the sound of objects being put away and a zipper to zip them up. Then, the sound of heels clicking their way out of the washroom, all the while Lynn blocked me from view.

What was that for?

I turned my head in the direction of the door to see Claire locking it from the inside. Honestly, what kind of design was that? Putting a lock on the washroom door? Things like these gives teenagers ideas to make out in the washrooms with their boyfriend or girlfriend. Or worse, let best friends interrogate each other about their mornings.

Before I can confess, Lynn dragged me to the row of sinks and turned on two taps.

"Let's take the mud out of her hair before we interrogate her cus," said Lynn as she started to split my hair in half, and began to take the dirt out.

"Fine," replied Claire before she turned towards me and gave me the 'no-bullshit' look, "but I expect answers Katherine Grae. I don't skip first period to help people take mud out of their hair unless it's you or Lynn. And all I'm asking for is answers."

As if on cue, the bell rang, signalling that if we weren't in class... We were late and have detention after school. Our principal doesn't tolerate tardiness on the first day of school, so anyone who's late will get detention, no excuses. Even if your car broke down and you had to spend first period in the girls washroom because of some idiot who offered you a ride and instead, got mud all over you. No excuses.

My hair was pulled constantly left and right by Lynn and Claire, and I knew they were doing it on purpose.

"Okay, okay. I'll start talking. Geez girls. I'd like to have some hair by second period, you know?" I sighed.

I stared straight ahead into the mirror before deciding how to start recounting my morning.

••••••••••

Hey everyone ! Thanks for reading the first chapter ! :) I hope you like it so far. Sorry if it seems slow, it will pick up after the second chapter I promise ! I'm just getting started so don't worry :)

Don't forget to click the little star, comment, and share ! Thanks !