Prologue

"Don't worry Lori, you will be fine. Wait here with Anthony okay? I'm going to buy a cup of coffee."

The little girl nodded her head before turning around to look at the older boy beside her.

"Where are they going to take us?" She whispered to the boy as tears started to blur her vision.

He looked down at the young girl.

Minutes.

That's all it took to ruin her life. Mere minutes.

Wrapping his arm around her, he kissed her forehead and said, "I don't know, but wherever it is. I will be with you. I will protect you okay? I will keep all the monsters away from you."

The little girl nodded her head before wiping her eyes and gave a toothy grin to the older boy, "thank you for staying with me. I wish you could be my brother."

Not before long, the man came back, not only with a cup of coffee, but the company of three other men. Each wore a different coloured tie with their dress shirts. Black. Maroon. Pink.

"Lori, please come here and meet these men. They will make sure you are safe. Do you trust me?"

The little girl looked at the older boy beside her, waiting for a sign. When he nodded, she copied his action.

"Okay, then please say goodbye to Anthony. We need to leave now."

And that's all it took for the little girl to break.

The man in the pink tie crouched so that he could be at eye level with the crying girl, who was currently squeezing the life out of the older boy.

"If you don't mind, I would like a minute with the kids."

Although they were hesitant, one by one, each man left through the black door and let the door bang close.

Silence.

Silence was all that was heard, except for the little girl's quiet sobs and the older boy's murmurs to calm her down.

"Lorissa. Do you mind if I call you that? You have a beautiful name. And the nickname they gave you doesn't suit you."

The little girl sniffled before moving out of the older boy's arms and nodded swiftly.

"Sorry for crying. I love Anthony. Don't take him away from me, please."

The gentleman smiled at her before opening his suitcase to grab a paper bag.

"Do you know who I am and what I do?"

The little girl nodded.

"What do I do?"

She smiled before saying, "the Angels sent to protect me from the monsters. You are like Anthony. But people call you a lawyer. And people call Anthony a Saint."

The gentleman chuckled.

"Close. And yes. What Anthony did was very brave. He is practically a Saint."

Without anymore hesitation, he pushed the paper bag into the little girl's arm.

"Open it."

She did as she was told and pulled out a green wooden truck and a white teddy bear.

"I promise I will keep you and Anthony together. I promise that you will always be safe. I promise I will catch all the monsters and make sure they never come near you. Do you trust me? As much as you trust Anthony?"

The little girl looked into his brown eyes and saw nothing but sincerity and love. She walked towards him and wrapped her little arms around his neck.

"I trust you."

••••••••••

Hey ! Thanks for giving this book a chance, it's my first time writing so it's means a lot that you guys are willing to at least read till the end.

This will be the only chapter where it's in third person.

The upcoming chapters will be in Kate Grae's POV (:

Don't forget to click that star, comment and share ! It'll mean the world to me (:

•Pandora