Chapter 16

The Night of May 23rd, 1934

Ever since that chilly Christmas night, Katherine had been a different person.

Careless
Cruel
A flat out criminal.

It was now a fun little competition to see who could kill more people between she and Clyde.

Deep down, she knew it was wrong, she should've left Clyde in the very beginning. She wouldn't be in such a mess, heck, she wouldn't be such a mess of it weren't for him.
But this Katherine Pulitzer was careless. She would conquer anyone who stood in her way, no matter if it was an innocent person, a child, an officer, anyone.

Well, anyone accept him...

"Ace."

"Ace, wake up."

Katherine stirred awake, to find she was not in the arms of Clyde Barrow, but in the arms of Jack Kelly, once again. Sitting on his lap.

"Wha- who are you?" She said, adjusting her eyes to the figure above her.

"C'mon, ace, it's me." Jack said in a whisper tone.
"J-Jack?" She stuttered. "Wh- how'd you find me?" Katherine wasn't alarmed at all, something in her gut was telling her to let him talk, to even leave with him.
"I followed my heart." He smiled. Katherine raised an eyebrow. "And the newspapers." He admitted. Katherine sighed and shifted off his lap, now sitting beside him. "You came all this way, for me?" Jack nodded. "Bonnie and I started looking for you the day ya left and never stopped." Katherine rolled her eyes. "Oh, Bonnie. Right." Katherine stood up. "Nice talking to you, Jack, but I have business to take care of."
Jack stood up too. "Kath, nothing happened."
Katherine scoffed. "What are you, stupid? Something did happen!" Katherine felt tears burning in her eyes, thinking back to that day when Jack broke her heart. "T-that kiss. That damn kiss is the cause of all this!"
"What? No! Ya didn't have to run off with that ole barrow boy and start Shootin' up innocent people Katherine! Don't tell me this is my fault!" Jack retorted.
"But it is! I loved you Jack! And I thought you loved me too!" Katherine said, now crying.
Jack softened his voice and took a step closer to her. "But I do love you, Katherine."

Katherine slapped him across the face with all the strength she had and sent him tumbling backwards.

"LIES!" She screamed. "Stop lying to me! I can't handle it anymore! Everything you've ever said to me was a lie! Our whole relationship was a lie! I hate you!" She paused as she watched Jack regain his balance and hold the side of his face.

Katherine stared into his ice blue eyes and couldn't help but think back to the good days. Like the night before the strike ended, on the rooftop. Or the chilly nights on her fire escape when Jack would come warm her up. She missed all that.
She missed Jack.

Katherine ran and wrapped her arms around Jack waist and began crying into his chest.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it. I love you so much, cowboy, I'm so sorry."

"Shh, ace, look up here." Jack said, grabbing her shoulders to position her to look at him. He wiped away tears from her soft cheeks and smiled.

"Let's get out of here."