Chapter 26: The Red Player

Piifalo

"Incredible!" Miki exclaims. "I never dreamed you could become so powerful in such a short time! She must mean more to you than I thought! You there, the final squad!" He points to the last group of remaining Coffins. "Disperse. You are no longer needed, you'll only get in the way." Quickly and excitedly they climb over each other to escape and get away. "Good. Now it's just me and you..."

"So you've finally decided to come out to fight me yourself, huh? I must've given you quite a scare, you bastard," I spit at him.

"Oh really?" He asks, heavily amused. "You still think that I'm the evil one? What makes you think that? Don't you dare tell me it's because of the killing!" He exclaims, pointing to the red indicator above his head.

For a moment I hesitate, realizing what he meant. I'm no longer the perfect shade of green, untainted by death. With this dark red I'm no different from one of them...

"Shut up! If I'm going to hell then you're coming with me!" I charge toward him with all my strength, holding nothing back with Bloodrush. My Fireheart comes mere inches from his cheek, barely grazing the skin, but he isn't satisfied with merely dodging the attack. He pushes up close to my chest, bashing me with his shield and knocking me on my back. He uses the increased distance to instantly pull out his bow and fire a single arrow aimed at my heart, but I manage to roll out of the way at the last second.

The attacks keep coming as he slides up next to me, preparing an overhead slash attack with his sword. The slice barely grazes my left shoulder, allowing me time to plant a kick into his chest, launching him into a nearby wall, prompting the "Immortal Object" message to appear.

"Ahahaha!" Miki cackles. "A truly remarkable kick! Such devastating power! I might even be forced to fight with 100% of my strength... this is quite the predicament."

So he has been holding back after all. No matter. Whatever power he's been hiding can't possibly be enough to overwhelm-"

Almost immediately Miki's aura seems to explode, bursting with unfathomable strength and bloodlust, enough to break Hajime's one hundred times over.

"Don't underestimate me, 'Hero of SAO!' Legendary Bow Skill Number 5: Envy of Artemis!" Miki's bow glows a blinding white along with his glimmering eyes, filling the entire tree with their light. "These arrows will cut through anything and anyone in this game. So don't even try to block! Show me some more of your agility, Piifalo!"

Even with Bloodrush on full alert I can hardly see the arrow fire. The arrow is already halfway to it's target at my heart when I catch a glimpse of it. Reacting upon pure instincts I lean left and turn my body away, but the arrow is still too quick, catching a glancing blow off my arm. The arrow continues flying forward, straight through the thick wall that was once called an immortal object.

"Damn," I curse under my breath. "I won't be able to keep up much longer at this rate, and Bloodrush alone is taking it's toll on my body..." Without warning, another one comes flying in my direction, nearly burying itself in my kneecap, but I manage to limit it to cutting my quadriceps.

"I have no chance staying on the defensive. It's time to strike back!" I launch myself forward with all my strength, ignoring the shooting pain emanating from my slashed leg.

Just as I nearly reach Miki he looses yet another arrow also aimed at my heart. It's no use, I can't dodge from this distance, and even if I try it'll just slow me down. I have to take the hit in a non-lethal place... Using every muscle in my body I can, I turn myself to the side as much as possible. The shimmering arrow slides through my chest, just above and to the right of my heart, coming out the other side. My health plummets to little more than ¼.