Prologue

A group of mourners dressed in black spoke in hushed, low tones, trying to hide their pity for me. Sighing, I blocked them out, carrying on towards the small tombstone.

I clutched the bunch of flowers close to my chest in one hand, and my son in the other. I could feel his big, brown eyes on me, studying my features, learning to remember every part of me. He was only a week old, new to this world. This awful, awful world.

My heart beat in my chest as I came to a stand still, admiring the rounded block in front of me, with words engraved on it. A name; a name that was on my mind all the time. Had been for years now. And a date.

It read:

Alfie Deyes.
Friend, brother, fiancé, father.
Taken too soon.
September 17, 1993-November 14, 2016

My face reddened, my vision blurring and my heart aching as I bent down, placing my flowers on the grave of my dead lover. As I stood up, a tear rolled down my cheek, and memories flooded back to me.

I chocked on a sob and began to splutter, causing the child in my arms to wail. I looked down at his little red face, tears running down it, and his tiny fists pounding the air.

When Alfie was here, I had been so happy about having a baby. I had always been a maternal woman, and Alfie was my soulmate. It just felt right.

But now that he was gone, it felt more wrong than anything else.

A cold breeze tickled my skin, ruffling my short hair that was scraped back into a bun at the back of my head.

I rocked my newborn for a minute, but soon tears were streaming down my own face and I sat down on the ground and cried with him.

Through my tears, I looked up at the tombstone.

"I miss you, Alf," I whispered. "I miss you." I sobbed loudly. "Why did you leave me? You told me you would never leave me. You promised, Alfie!" I took a deep breath to calm myself before carrying on in a hushed tone. "He's here now. He looks just like you, except me has my nose and Joe's eyebrows." I chuckled. "Little Ian Sugg. They wouldn't let me give him your second name, so I had to settle for him."

I closed my eyes and sighed. What had brought us here? What had caused this? Just a few months ago, we were happy, engaged, and expecting. And now we're worlds apart.

"He will know who his father is, Alfie. I promise. He'll know about your jokes and your cackle of a laugh and he'll know that he has your eyes." I glanced down at my sons eyes. "I promise."

Reaching up with a shuddering hand, I reached up and wiped away my tears and snot. I stood up, and turned away to walk back towards my family and friends.

But not before I stroked the love of my life's gravestone and whispered, "I love you, Alfie. Always."

__________________________

Oh, the feels. :(

So, how was it?
I know it was short but it was just a prologue, so the first chapter is going to be longer.
It's also going to be a short story. I have eleven chapters and an epilogue planned out. So, pretty short.

Also, while Black and White was angst filled but had a happy ending, this will not. I hope you still read on.

I appreciate your read and, if you voted, thank you!

- j. xox

Cover by: Me.

Trailer: http://youtu.be/lKpgCrPBKp4